Security engineers take precautionary measures to ensure a company’s computer systems and networks remain safe. They also respond to potential breaches to determine how sensitive information was stolen and take action to ensure it does not happen again.
Computer and analytical skills are beneficial for security engineers to have. Your security engineer job description should state how these employees will need to study computer systems and pinpoint areas of weakness. Being detail oriented will come in handy because nothing can be overlooked.
Finally, engineers should possess a great deal of ingenuity. They need to keep abreast of the latest technological advancements and implement them at their own place of work. All this needs to be communicated in your security engineer job description, so abide by the rules and standards exemplified in the below example.
Security Engineer Job Summary
Do you love working as part of a team to build the safest, most comprehensive computer network possible? As our new security engineer, you would be accountable for ensuring the company’s mainframe is always secure and constantly look for ways to enhance it. We are proud to say we have never had a data breach in our 10 years of being in business, and we would like to keep it that way. This is a perfect opportunity for anyone looking for her or his first job in the field because you will have plenty of opportunities to learn as you go. We have a great company culture, so apply today if you think you have what it takes.
* Maintain the integrity of the company’s computer system and logic controls by performing routine security audits to locate areas of weakness
* Conduct research into the security systems in place at similar organizations and recommend changes to our system based on findings
* Backup company’s database at least once a month so new information can be stored on separate devices
* Perform external intrusion attempts to see how easy it would be for an outsider to hack into the company’s system
* Provide security lessons to other employees to inform them of the actions they can take to minimize the risk of a data breach
* Develop testing programs to see how effective a new piece of software is and see if anything needs to be upgraded or changed
* Prepare documentation to offer to upper management detailing how a new system works and what its cost will be over time
* Respond to any emergency situations should they arise and be willing to respond at any time of day
Job Skills & Qualifications
* Bachelor’s degree in computer science
* Ability to work as part of a team
* Excellent analytical skills
* Prior experience working as part of an IT department
* Licensed with using CISA, CCSP, CSSLP or CISSP
When jobseekers see your security engineer job description, you want them to do more than simply read it; you want them to actually engage with the content so they feel compelled to apply right then and there. Including pertinent details, such as the example above, is a good place to start. However, posting the listing to the right places will also help a great deal.
A lot of jobseekers turn toward social media. Most people already have a Facebook or Twitter account, so they reach out to hiring managers and employers through those channels. However, you do not want to neglect equally valuable sites, such as job boards. Many sites are dedicated to hosting job descriptions. You should use MightyRecruiter the next time you want to hire new people because it lets you easily post to free job boards.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter