Security engineers take precautionary measures to ensure a company’s computer systems and networks remain safe. They also respond to potential breaches to determine how sensitive information was stolen and take action to ensure it does not happen again.
Computer and analytical skills are beneficial for security engineers to have. Your security engineer job description should state how these employees will need to study computer systems and pinpoint areas of weakness. Being detail oriented will come in handy because nothing can be overlooked.
Finally, engineers should possess a great deal of ingenuity. They need to keep abreast of the latest technological advancements and implement them at their own place of work. All this needs to be communicated in your security engineer job description, so abide by the rules and standards exemplified in the below example.
Security Engineer Job Summary
Do you love working as part of a team to build the safest, most comprehensive computer network possible? As our new security engineer, you would be accountable for ensuring the company’s mainframe is always secure and constantly look for ways to enhance it. We are proud to say we have never had a data breach in our 10 years of being in business, and we would like to keep it that way. This is a perfect opportunity for anyone looking for her or his first job in the field because you will have plenty of opportunities to learn as you go. We have a great company culture, so apply today if you think you have what it takes.
* Maintain the integrity of the company’s computer system and logic controls by performing routine security audits to locate areas of weakness
* Conduct research into the security systems in place at similar organizations and recommend changes to our system based on findings
* Backup company’s database at least once a month so new information can be stored on separate devices
* Perform external intrusion attempts to see how easy it would be for an outsider to hack into the company’s system
* Provide security lessons to other employees to inform them of the actions they can take to minimize the risk of a data breach
* Develop testing programs to see how effective a new piece of software is and see if anything needs to be upgraded or changed
* Prepare documentation to offer to upper management detailing how a new system works and what its cost will be over time
* Respond to any emergency situations should they arise and be willing to respond at any time of day
Job Skills & Qualifications
* Bachelor’s degree in computer science
* Ability to work as part of a team
* Excellent analytical skills
* Prior experience working as part of an IT department
* Licensed with using CISA, CCSP, CSSLP or CISSP
Security Engineer Job Responsibilities
When your organization is hiring, writing a security engineer job description with a hearty list of job responsibilities is one of the best ways to make sure you attract top candidates. This works because it gives jobseekers a clear idea of the expectations your organization will have for a new hire, mirroring the way work experience operates on a resume.
To get the most out of this section job description, you need to make sure the list of responsibilities is both complete and well-written. Discuss the entries with those who are most closely supervising the positing to make sure you have a complete idea, and then compose those responsibilities into 6-8 bullet points. Organize the security engineer job responsibilities with each individual item headed up with a clear and specific action verb. Writing in active language ensures the language stays clear as well.
Here are some examples of responsibilities you can include in your own security engineer job description:
- Design security measures for computer information systems, including globally widespread network systems
- Make changes to existing security measures based on the needs of the system and existing threats
- Work with security analysts to identify and respond to emerging threats
- Program new security applications and patch existing applications
Security Engineer Job Specifications
The skills and qualifications section of a security engineer job description provide a useful counterpoint to the responsibilities section by giving you a place to assemble a concise checklist of the prerequisite skills and credentials you will expect candidates to have if they are to successfully handle all of the responsibilities that come with the position. That way, it is easy for an applicant to decide whether or not this position is a good fit.
The skills list needs to be both specific and complete. That means you will need to do some research to make sure you put the right security engineer job specifications into the text of your description. Include online sources in your research, but don’t forget to consult members of your organization who perform the role and who supervise it as you create your next job description.
Make sure your security engineer job description’s list of skills and qualifications is concise and clear so it can be readily understood by potential applicants. Include common terms for the industry, including the actual names of relevant technological or physical tools. Below are some examples of common skills for the position that you may adapt or use as needed while you write:
- Proficiency programming with C# and Python
- Strong problem sensitivity and problem analysis skills
- Bachelor of Engineering
- Hands-on experience managing private computer networks
- Prior experience as a security analyst