The responsibilities of a senior business analyst vary from one position to another. Typically, they are tasked with analyzing potential projects, business strategies and models to determine their viability, as well as identify and fix weaknesses in operational performance. Because they are the senior business analyst, they have leadership duties and will manage the team of business analysts.
At the core of your senior business analyst job description, you should include the requirements that candidates have a strong business and market sense. They must be excellent leaders and be able to manage a team efficiently.
In addition, communication, critical thinking, analytical and decision-making skills are vital to the position and should be included on the job description as well. Because it can be difficult to effectively include all these qualifications, you should review the following senior business analyst job description template to determine an efficient approach.
Senior Business Analyst Job Summary
Are you an analytical mind that has a firm understanding of business operations to back it up? If so, we are looking for you for our senior business analyst position. Our dynamic team of business analysts makes a big difference in the way our business is operated, and as the senior business analyst, you will manage our entire team of analysts. You are a natural leader with extensive communication skills and the ability to approach a situation from a critical standpoint to make a decision and develop the best solution. Come join our team and help guide our business as we move forward.
- Develop new business strategies and business models, taking all aspects into consideration and providing insight into how these strategies will benefit the company
- Oversee the design of new products, commenting on how they will fair in the market in order to guide the designers
- Identify areas of poor performance in the company and in the outside market and make recommendations for improvement
- Lead the company in the execution of business strategies and internal projects to ensure the desired result is achieved quickly and effectively
- Manage the business analyst team, listening to different members’ recommendations and taking measures to maximize the efficacy of the analytical team
- Create monthly reports of performance and success, pointing out areas in need of improvement and making recommendations
- Design and lead training programs to establish a base understanding in any department or company-wide and ensure that all employees grasp the information correctly
- Explore new customer satisfaction options and make recommendations at monthly board meeting for how satisfaction can be improved
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Five years minimum of working in analysis, data mining or information related field
- Bachelor degree in business, information technology or related field
- Two years’ experience working as business analyst
- Experience in warehouse or supply chain environment
Senior Business Analyst Job Responsibilities
Just as applicants should spend a good amount of time creating an effective resume, designing a strong senior business analyst job description to attract these individuals is important. The job responsibilities section is one of the meatiest parts of a description because it defines exactly what the employer expects from the jobseeker. It should paint a clear picture of what the position’s day-to-day duties are, but also be easy to read and understand.
Employ bullet points to separate each task, and use action verbs to begin each duty in your senior business analyst job description. Although you want to thoroughly lay out the responsibilities, you don’t want the list to be too long or else job candidates may stop reading. Aim for 6-8 bullet points.
The following are samples of what you may want to include in your senior business analyst job responsibilities section:
- Develop and maintain value analysis tools for strategic and value-driven decisions of the company
- Use analytics to improve investment decisions in development, project operations, M&A and restructuring
- Establish controls to ensure policies and procedures are properly executed; communicate problems and defects to proper party
- Deal with technical problems and correct them during testing, configuration and implementation of various systems
Senior Business Analyst Job Specifications
Another important section of your senior business analyst job description is the job skills and qualifications. While this may seem like an easy part to write, it is critical to include the right information if you want to save yourself some time and weed out those applicants who are not right for the position. Make sure you include required qualifications such as education level, important skills and knowledge in particular areas. You may also choose to mention preferred criteria such as years of experience or professional certifications.
If you are unsure of what skills you should list, discuss it with the hiring manager or someone who is experienced in the role. This will help you create a compelling senior business analyst job description that attracts not only quality applicants but particularly those who fit with the culture of your company.
Consider the following examples of what you be typically find in a senior business analyst job specifications section:
- Bachelor’s degree in science, engineering, economics or finance
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in related field
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Strong written, interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Knowledge of and experience in Agile, SDLC and ERP