If you are hoping to bring a talented new hire into your company, you are going to need a well-written job description in order to do it. In your work as a recruiter or hiring manager, you really can’t afford to spend hours on end trying to find someone who at least qualifies for one open position when you have several others that also need to be filled in a timely manner. A solid job description is perhaps the most effective way to weed out jobseekers that are not qualified or otherwise lack genuine interest in working at your company, thereby allowing you to do your job more efficiently. For some help on this front, continue reading for our Senior Information Architect job description sample below.
Senior Information Architect Job Summary
As the senior information architect, you will provide users with a positive experience by determining the appropriate information structure for web applications and websites. In addition, you will act as a mentor for other junior members of the team.
Senior Information Architect Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Plans solution delivery, answers team members’ technical and procedural questions, mentors team members and advises them about more effective processes in order to enhance collective accomplishments
- Analyzes and researches the needs, objectives, preferences and working methods of users to determine best user requirements for systems; examines methods by which users consume content
- Keeps information organized by creating interactive experiences, crafting media elements and structures using user behavior, preparing specifications for interactions, site maps and navigation rules, producing graphics such as flowcharts and storyboards, and coordinating with representatives from other departments
- Drafts plans for information architecture by conceptualizing the architecture scheme, the user-interface design and the overall information structure, examining the strategy, target audience and central concept of the site, carrying out user scenarios, creating data models and leading creative meetings
- Puts information architecture into effect by creating interactive prototypes and concepts such as navigational elements and page layouts, working with the production developer and web producer to ensure integration of site concept, writing, visual design, navigational structure and interface, and keeping records of processes and structure
- Ensures validity of information delivery by assessing traffic patterns, crafting and implementing tests of usability and studying feedback from actual users
- Keep job knowledge up to date by studying new usability and web design research, reading industry publications and partaking in educational opportunities such as workshops
Senior Information Architect Skills and Qualifications
- Ability to analyze company requirements
- Efficient planning methods
- Data maintenance
- Problem solving
- Management of databases
- Strong verbal communicator
- Creation of data models
- Ability to clearly present technical information
- Strong sense of initiative and self-motivation
Webflicks is a video streaming and production company that has been providing millions of people with television and film entertainment for over a decade. Our purpose is to stay at the forefront of visual media consumption by pushing streaming technology forward. Our mission is to keep our current customer base satisfied while also appealing to people of new tastes.
Best Practices for Writing Job Descriptions
- The Senior Information Architect job description sample we’ve presented here is definitely a great example from which to model a description for a similar position in your company. However, there will be times as a hiring manager or recruiter in which you will not have such blueprints. For those times, there are a few basic practices that, when followed, should lead to great writing every time.
- Do use specific language. Your goal with this job description is to narrow the field down to just the qualified candidates so that your task of selecting someone is quicker and easier. If there are any special skills or technical knowledge of specific systems that applicants should have, make sure to mention them.
- Don’t present information in text blocks. Jobseekers want to see postings that allow them to quickly parse out the bits that are important to them. The clutter and confusion that comes from using text blocks will only drive away people looking for a company that values clarity and organization.
- Do demonstrate the personality and culture of your company. As much as jobseekers place a great deal of decision-making weight on objective things such as hours per week and monthly salary, they also want to know whether your company is a good fit for their attitude. If everyone is on the same page, your firm is going to move forward faster with new ideas that match the company mission.
Senior Information Architect Job Responsibilities
When writing a senior information architect job description, take your time on the job responsibilities section. This is possibly the most important part of the entire job description, but don’t go overboard. Remember you are writing this for jobseekers and not for human resources, leadership or hiring managers. By focusing on candidate needs instead of employer needs, you can expect a higher response rate, which means a greater chance of attracting better candidates.
As already mentioned on this page, an important tip to follow is making sure to use bullet points in the job responsibilities section of the senior information architect job description. Using bullet points instead of paragraphs makes the responsibilities section easier to read, and candidates can imagine themselves doing the work the job requires. Keep to around five or six bullets per section.
Here are some typical senior information architect job responsibilities
- Implement major technology projects, particularly Big Data implementations
- Handle data modeling, using tools such as MagicDraw and Erwin, understand different methodologies and comprehend data models in different formats
- Collaborate with business teams to understand, translate and capture requirements to meet business objectives, help reduce costs, lower risks, boost performance and increase client satisfaction
- Achieve deliverables while working closely with project development teams
Senior Information Architect Job Specifications
The skills section of your senior information architect job description may be brief and lists just the minimum requirements for the position, but it’s an important section used to narrow the field of candidates for the job. Those requirements usually include education level, technical and soft skills. To reduce the number of over and under qualified applicants, you need to write exactly what you want from the candidate. Otherwise, you can expect an excess of applications and resumes from applicants who are not the best fit for the position. Jobseekers can then decide if they might match the role and apply. Discuss the senior information architect job description with hiring managers and leadership to determine which are vital and which are merely ideal.
Here are selected examples of senior information architect job specifications you can add to your job posting to help draw star prospects for the position:
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent career experience Strong collaboration and relationship management skills to work well with various stakeholders Solid verbal and written communications skills Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills, with attention to detail, good ability to follow up and drive to achieve results Ability to work independently and multitask