A senior Java developer is an experienced information technology professional who has developed software for several years. This type of developer can create as well as support both front and back end applications that utilize large amounts of data.
When you write your senior Java developer job description, make sure to include the need for expertise in several coding languages such as Perl, C++, object-oriented language and Sass. A senior Java developer should also have experience in leading a development team through a complete development lifecycle.
Since leading a team through development takes coordination of resources, you should also ask for a senior Java developer who has excellent communication skills and is agile with planning. Take a look at this senior Java developer job description to see what else to include in your job description.
Senior Java Developer Job Summary
Do you have the skills and knowledge to take the lead of a stellar IT department? Do you live and breathe coding? At Great West Bank, we care about the quality of service our customers experience around the country, which is why we need a senior Java developer like you to make a major contribution to the direction of our enterprise system development and front-end web applications. Use your experience in life-cycle development of database report solutions and many coding languages to make a significant difference with employee as well as customer users of our computer interfaces. If you are excited about using cutting-edge technology in a fast-paced work environment, apply today!
- Work with other members of a planning team to develop a prototype plan for an enterprise system that will process millions of records per day, including what key features system users require in the system as well as integration strategies to update existing systems that will transition into the new system build down the road
- Develop modules of the initial enterprise system plan and work with the development team by coding advanced portions of the modules and delegating routine coding to junior Java developers
- Conduct the testing of completed code modules with the help of junior Java developers, fixing code as needed to ensure a smooth system deployment with the intended functionality
- Plan and execute all deployment of system features and monitor for successful integration, maintaining the system throughout its lifecycle
- Build, test and support various desktop applications at the request of the business support department
- Recommend software solutions to emerging needs in banking functionality and report ability
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Advanced experience in Java and Java Applets in the enterprise development process
- Web programming and user interface design experience
- Excellent communication and delegation skills
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field
- Software debugging experience
Senior Java Developer Job Responsibilities
As the most in-depth portion of the senior Java developer job description, the responsibilities section presents applicants with the core duties of a senior developer. Scratching out every assignment a developer may ever complete provides limitless details for jobseekers, but doing so can also overwhelm interested candidates. Rather than write an exhaustive paragraph to describe the position, create a bulleted list that streamlines the responsibilities into essential functions. Restricting the role to a brief list of essentials encourages a focused approach to the hiring process and guides both you and candidates in the search.
Keep in mind also that serious applicants first skim job postings, making almost immediate decisions about whether to pursue an opportunity. In addition to the bulleted list of responsibilities, visibly delineated sections should outline the senior Java developer job description. Headings quickly point jobseekers to the specific details they’re looking for, so label the responsibilities section clearly to get the attention of the qualified professionals you seek.
Some senior Java developer job responsibilities to consider including are the following:
- Design highly scalable software solutions to improve functionality and system longevity
- Collaborate with project managers to implement end-to-end solutions for complex projects
- Analyze current systems to maintain integrity and improve architecture
- Train in-house personnel and other end users on software and applications
- Remain informed of current trends and technology developments
Senior Java Developer Job Specifications
Keywords help candidates find your senior Java developer job description, so include them when you’re drafting the posting. Consider specific words and phrases job-seeking developers may search and choose three to incorporate into the job qualifications and skills section. For example, a junior developer hoping to move into a senior role may search “senior Java developer,” so including “senior Java developer” several times in the listing increases the chance that the candidate’s search finds your open position.
Not only should candidates easily find the job posting online, they should also immediately recognize if they qualify for it. Plainly outline the qualifications of your senior Java developer job description so the required and preferred credentials aren’t ambiguous. If you prefer a candidate with a Professional Science Master’s but will accept someone with a Bachelor of Science in Software Development, make those criteria explicit. When candidates who have an Associate in Science scan the list, they won’t wonder if they qualify for the position. The more specific the position’s list of requirements, the more likely you and your new Java developer will be satisfied in your partnership.
Note the following examples of senior Java developer job specifications:
- Senior Java developer or junior developer with 5+ years of experience
- Bachelor of Science in Software Development
- Expertise in agile and scrum development cycles