Senior network engineers design data communication networks. They connect offices and enable business-to-business and business-to-client interface using LAN, WAN, intranet and cloud infrastructure technology. Their goal should be to plan, design and build a network that helps you achieve your goals, so make certain you mention this in your senior network engineer job description.
This position requires extensive computer-related education, including a bachelor’s degree program that has hands-on laboratory work as part of its curriculum and an MBA. To fill a senior position, your potential candidates should have already worked five to 10 years in information technology systems.
The hardware and software vendors you use determine the required certification, and because senior engineers may oversee support staff, they should have extensive interpersonal and leadership skills. You also want someone analytical, detail oriented and extremely organized. Review the senior network engineer job description sample below for further guidance.
Senior Network Engineer Job Summary
We need a senior network engineer certified and ready to take over our computer networks. You are the perfect candidate if you thrive under pressure and accept challenges with a look of determination in your eyes. You aren’t afraid to meet with our senior officers and listen to their needs, no matter how large, and you won’t hesitate to go back to your office and research the best network solutions to meet those needs. You can design an internal and external infrastructure that will knock our socks off, and you can justify the cost, too. Once you’ve convinced us, you will lead a dynamic team of network specialists whose sole purpose is to keep us connected worldwide.
- Meet with the Chief Technology Officer and company management to discuss internal and external data communication networks whenever there is a need for new systems or additional technological support
- Research hardware and software solutions and create plans, including layouts and product specifications, for all data communication networks resulting from meetings
- Present findings in report format to appropriate personnel and explain how the new communications network will address current issues
- Secure all hardware and software required for network solutions or supervise network administrator tasked with securing all hardware and software
- Plan out network installation and/or upgrade project, assign milestone tasks to support personnel and meet company deadlines for full implementation, including network and user station set-ups and permissions, installation of all software and end-user security
- Assign and supervise network support staff in their daily activities and during special projects
- Write and implement networking protocols company-wide and department policies and procedures
- Research and analyze new network technologies and present suggestions for upgrades to improve existing communications network
Job Skills and Qualifications
- MBA in a computer science-related field
- Five or more years’ information technology systems experience
- CCNP/BCNP certifications
- Access, e.g. LDAP, and computer servers
- Network analyzers, channels and switches
- Network administration, development and monitoring software, e.g. Apache, Cisco, SolarWinds
- Additional network/LAN/WAN certifications, e.g. wireless, Brocade, Juniper
Since your business’s lifeblood is its computer networks, make certain your senior network engineer job description attracts the qualified candidates you need. You’ll want to ensure everyone sees your opening by posting it in the Careers section of your website and on all of your social media platforms. Most people rely on social media today to get their news and updates on just about everything.
Experience counts with this position, so recruit from the best technical job boards you can find. You may also flex your recruiting muscle by notifying professionals on LinkedIn and other business social media platforms that you are looking for a senior network engineer. You can also reach numerous job boards at once when you take advantage of the MightyRecruiter free job postings.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter