Senior network engineers design data communication networks. They connect offices and enable business-to-business and business-to-client interface using LAN, WAN, intranet and cloud infrastructure technology. Their goal should be to plan, design and build a network that helps you achieve your goals, so make certain you mention this in your senior network engineer job description.
This position requires extensive computer-related education, including a bachelor’s degree program that has hands-on laboratory work as part of its curriculum and an MBA. To fill a senior position, your potential candidates should have already worked five to 10 years in information technology systems.
The hardware and software vendors you use determine the required certification, and because senior engineers may oversee support staff, they should have extensive interpersonal and leadership skills. You also want someone analytical, detail oriented and extremely organized. Review the senior network engineer job description sample below for further guidance.
Senior Network Engineer Job Summary
We need a senior network engineer certified and ready to take over our computer networks. You are the perfect candidate if you thrive under pressure and accept challenges with a look of determination in your eyes. You aren’t afraid to meet with our senior officers and listen to their needs, no matter how large, and you won’t hesitate to go back to your office and research the best network solutions to meet those needs. You can design an internal and external infrastructure that will knock our socks off, and you can justify the cost, too. Once you’ve convinced us, you will lead a dynamic team of network specialists whose sole purpose is to keep us connected worldwide.
- Meet with the Chief Technology Officer and company management to discuss internal and external data communication networks whenever there is a need for new systems or additional technological support
- Research hardware and software solutions and create plans, including layouts and product specifications, for all data communication networks resulting from meetings
- Present findings in report format to appropriate personnel and explain how the new communications network will address current issues
- Secure all hardware and software required for network solutions or supervise network administrator tasked with securing all hardware and software
- Plan out network installation and/or upgrade project, assign milestone tasks to support personnel and meet company deadlines for full implementation, including network and user station set-ups and permissions, installation of all software and end-user security
- Assign and supervise network support staff in their daily activities and during special projects
- Write and implement networking protocols company-wide and department policies and procedures
- Research and analyze new network technologies and present suggestions for upgrades to improve existing communications network
Job Skills and Qualifications
- MBA in a computer science-related field
- Five or more years’ information technology systems experience
- CCNP/BCNP certifications
- Access, e.g. LDAP, and computer servers
- Network analyzers, channels and switches
- Network administration, development and monitoring software, e.g. Apache, Cisco, SolarWinds
- Additional network/LAN/WAN certifications, e.g. wireless, Brocade, Juniper
Want to use this job description?
Senior Network Engineer Job Responsibilities
Your senior network engineer job description needs to clearly communicate the duties of the position so candidates know what to expect. The job responsibilities portion is the most significant part of the description because it lists important areas the employee has responsibility for. As tempting as it may be, it’s not necessary to list every task, but it is critical to list 6-8 bullet points that focus on the essentials. If necessary, add a list of secondary responsibilities after the primary list.
As a reminder, one major item to follow is using bullet points in the senior network engineer job description’s job responsibilities section. Paragraphs can become dense and lengthy, not to mention harder to read. Jobseekers can more easily comprehend the major goals and daily responsibilities of the position. Use strong action verbs, and concentrate on the essential aspects of the job.
Some examples of senior network engineer job responsibilities are:
Senior Network Engineer Job Specifications
The skills and job qualifications section of the senior network engineer job description is generally a short and easy section to draft because you only need to list the minimum position requirements. However, it’s a key section because it helps jobseekers decide whether to pursue an application. This section helps eliminate potentially overqualified and underqualified candidates, usually based on education requirements, hard or technical skills and personality traits or soft skills. The specifications need to be clear so the jobseeker can decide if the role will be a good fit. This will also go a long way in making sure you spend more of your time on qualified applicants. Be sure to discuss senior network engineer job specifications with leadership and hiring managers to show only the most crucial specifications in the senior network engineer job description.
The following are some specifications to insert in your job posting to entice possible candidates for the position:
Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field or equivalent career expertise Experience with enterprise business and large-scale LAN/WAN environments, network security principles, network capacity planning and general network management best practices Expert at Cisco and IOS configuration and troubleshooting Knowledgeable in various network technologies, services and protocols Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including presentation skills Analytical and organizational skills