A senior program manager determines the best business hardware and software solutions. The manager supervises installation and maintenance of all computer technology, and stays on top of information technology’s pulse to recommend upgrades. This manager is responsible for all network and electronic document security as well as IT staff supervision.
When writing your senior program manager job description, emphasize all candidates must hold a bachelor’s degree in computer or information science and should have completed business coursework as well. Most companies prefer an MBA, and prior job experience in the field is necessary. Five years is the accepted minimum, and it should be in your business sector.
Other qualities crucial to this position include excellent analytical, business and communication skills. Strong candidates will be good decision makers and leaders. They will also be highly organized. Please see the senior program manager job description template below for more guidance.
Senior Program Manager Job Summary
We are looking for an information technology guru to plan, coordinate and direct all of our data communications activities. If you fit this bill, get ready for a dynamic career as our senior program manager. You will lead our information technology team in the pursuit of all things hardware and software. You will learn about our operations and then recommend the best way to streamline them using today’s hottest technology. You can handle anything from computer programming to systems analysis, and you aren’t afraid to delegate to skilled staff. You will be the “cardiac specialist” who maintains the electronic heart of our business, and we won’t survive without you.
- Manage computer and information systems department tasks daily by analyzing workflow needs and establishing priorities, and set deadlines when necessary to keep personnel on task
- Meet with internal and external decision makers to discuss all information technology needs, including hardware, software and data management
- Design project plans to advance company’s information systems, implement said plans upon approval, assign project activities to personnel and monitor milestone and completion progress
- Establish internal and external technical support solutions for all computer users, including a help desk for users to call and hardware and software troubleshooting
- Develop company-wide and internal information services resources, such as data security and disaster recovery policies and procedures, and departmental goals, policies and procedures
- Participate in departmental staffing decisions, including recruiting, hiring, training and supervising all department personnel
- Propose and then monitor approved operational budget to cover hardware and software purchases and other expenditures
- Remain abreast of information technology advancements, and recommend upgrades to all computer systems when applicable
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in computer or information sciences
- Five years’ minimum experience in related industry sector
- Excellent analytical, business, communication, decision-making, leadership and organizational skills
- Extensive and diverse computer system hardware and software knowledge
- MBA in related field
Senior Program Manager Job Responsibilities
It’s said that the qualities of a truly great leader are intangible, a certain “it” factor you know when you see it but can’t quite put into words. Yet to attract program managers with the qualities you seek, you need to do just that. You need to put those qualities into words, and write the important job responsibilities section of your senior program manager job description with the right combination of elements to gain the interest of truly winning candidates.
It’s not as difficult as it seems, and contrary to popular belief, that “it” factor is quite possible to describe in words — especially when those words are action verbs. 6-8 bullets of action verbs bring the powerful punch and professional, leadership-oriented language you need to boost your senior program manager job description up a level. Use an energetic, confident voice and condense the responsibilities list to a concise overview of the most critical duties.
For an example, check out the senior program manager job responsibilities we’ve written:
- Define strategic long-term and short-term program objectives supporting business mission
- Establish policies and procedures governing program execution and accountability
- Set priorities and milestones for individual projects and team initiatives within the program
- Provide guidance to mid-level management, direct reports and indirect reports
- Report directly to board-level executives on a quarterly basis
Senior Program Manager Job Specifications
Just as you know that perfect combination of employee qualities when you see it, you also know the moment an unqualified candidate crosses your desk. They’re missing not just the “it” factor, but the basic requirements needed to be eligible for the job. The best way to avoid seeing too many of these unnecessary, unqualified resumes is to include a job qualifications and skills section in your senior program manager job description. Candidates won’t know they don’t meet the minimum requirements if you don’t tell them, so make it clear exactly what you are and aren’t looking for.
The ideal list is 5-6 bullet points long and should integrate a combination of requirements gathered from members of your program and project teams. Keep your criteria simple and to the point. While you want your senior program manager job description to weed out ineligible applicants, you don’t want to risk scaring away your ideal candidates.
Take a look at our senior program manager job specifications:
- 5+ years of program management experience or 10+ years at the senior project management level
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration or program management required; master’s degree strongly preferred
- Experience working with global matrixed organizations with multiple international satellite offices
- Proven history of turning around underperforming business units to restore profitability
- Ability to collaborate with executive teams, stakeholders and investors