A senior program manager determines the best business hardware and software solutions. The manager supervises installation and maintenance of all computer technology, and stays on top of information technology’s pulse to recommend upgrades. This manager is responsible for all network and electronic document security as well as IT staff supervision.
When writing your senior program manager job description, emphasize all candidates must hold a bachelor’s degree in computer or information science and should have completed business coursework as well. Most companies prefer an MBA, and prior job experience in the field is necessary. Five years is the accepted minimum, and it should be in your business sector.
Other qualities crucial to this position include excellent analytical, business and communication skills. Strong candidates will be good decision makers and leaders. They will also be highly organized. Please see the senior program manager job description template below for more guidance.
Senior Program Manager Job Summary
We are looking for an information technology guru to plan, coordinate and direct all of our data communications activities. If you fit this bill, get ready for a dynamic career as our senior program manager. You will lead our information technology team in the pursuit of all things hardware and software. You will learn about our operations and then recommend the best way to streamline them using today’s hottest technology. You can handle anything from computer programming to systems analysis, and you aren’t afraid to delegate to skilled staff. You will be the “cardiac specialist” who maintains the electronic heart of our business, and we won’t survive without you.
- Manage computer and information systems department tasks daily by analyzing workflow needs and establishing priorities, and set deadlines when necessary to keep personnel on task
- Meet with internal and external decision makers to discuss all information technology needs, including hardware, software and data management
- Design project plans to advance company’s information systems, implement said plans upon approval, assign project activities to personnel and monitor milestone and completion progress
- Establish internal and external technical support solutions for all computer users, including a help desk for users to call and hardware and software troubleshooting
- Develop company-wide and internal information services resources, such as data security and disaster recovery policies and procedures, and departmental goals, policies and procedures
- Participate in departmental staffing decisions, including recruiting, hiring, training and supervising all department personnel
- Propose and then monitor approved operational budget to cover hardware and software purchases and other expenditures
- Remain abreast of information technology advancements, and recommend upgrades to all computer systems when applicable
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in computer or information sciences
- Five years’ minimum experience in related industry sector
- Excellent analytical, business, communication, decision-making, leadership and organizational skills
- Extensive and diverse computer system hardware and software knowledge
- MBA in related field
When writing your senior program manager job description, do not forget to tailor it to your specific industry. Then, place the job posting on your website and all social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter and even Instagram. In today’s media-driven world, consider posting a short film on a video-sharing platform to show how and why your company is so dynamic.
Other job marketing resources available to you include technical publications, both online and offline, and technical forums. Professional social media platforms are another good source of potential candidates, even if the candidates are employed currently. Finally, save time and leverage the power of free job postings to hundreds of job boards through MightyRecruiter.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter