Your sales team plays a dynamic role within your organization. Not only do they facilitate communication between consumers and company personnel, but they are responsible for establishing the pathway to success. Essentially, their job is to use persuasion, integrity, and enthusiasm to sell your product or service to interested folks who could potentially become your largest customers. Finding the right person to lead your sales force is critical to make sure salespeople remain motivated and successful on the job. Hiring the perfect person is highly dependent on your ability to write a killer job description. As you take this crucial first step in the hiring process, here is a thorough, yet concise, Senior Sales Representative Job Description Sample for your reference.
Senior Sales Representative Job Summary
As a Senior Sales Representative, you will be a driving force among our sales team. Your ability to work quickly, honestly, and effectively to build relationships with our consumers will set the bar for our other sales professionals. Daily tasks will include meeting and facilitating consumer demands, creating innovative solutions to solve consumer concerns, and motivating sales staff to reach their personal best without compromising quality.
Senior Sales Representative Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Maintain and update an organized agenda detailing quotas, territory analyses, and results reports
- Serve as a mentor to less experienced salesmen and assist in trainings regarding effective delivery solutions
- Achieve consistent sales over time, even in periods of change in consumer interest
- Study sales volume and industry trends to understand how to best penetrate the market and gain consumer interest
- Work quickly to solve consumer complaints to retain business, and build the company’s reputation
- Regularly visit existing accounts to maintain professional business relations
- Research and cold call to identify potential customers and to find out their needs
- Encourage team work within the sales team and be an example to other sales professionals
- Maintain integrity and honesty, and deal ethically with consumers no matter the situation
- Promptly submit orders and follow-through to ensure customer requests are honored
- Stay current with industry trends, monitor competition, and learn merchandising techniques to improve performance
- Create and deliver sales presentations that are compelling, accurate, and informative
Senior Sales Representative Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or related field
- 8-10 years of experience in a sales position
- Customer service experience highly preferred
- Competent presentation skills
- Ability to negotiate fairly
- Ability to learn about various products, and display and share this knowledge in a confident manner
- Possess a passion for finding and selling to new customers
- Have an understanding of business relationships and how to develop healthy client relations
- Possess a determination to meet and exceed sales goals
- Ability to motivate and encourage other salespeople with enthusiasm
- Retain a track record of success in closing sales and delivering quality product
- Have a willingness to follow through to see that every customer receives their product and is satisfied with the outcome
Nature’s Child is an up and coming leader in the creation of natural cosmetic products for infants and children. We have been in business for over ten years and have built our success by providing mothers and fathers with completely natural products for the care and cleanliness of their children. With innovative products and authentic delivery methods, we have a proven track record of providing our customers with the very best service by the most knowledgeable sales professionals there are.
Writing a Job Description Best Practices
- In addition to the Senior Sales Representative Job Description Sample shared above, here are some simple dos and don’ts to make writing your description a bit easier.
- Do make the application process simple to follow and check for broken links.
- Don’t use overly technical language or wordiness as you could risk losing the interest of the applicant.
- Do use bulleted lists to break up content and to keep your writing brief and to-the-point.
- Don’t include detailed information about salary or benefits as it is often against company policy.
- Do be clear when defining the kinds of candidates, you are looking for. The more concise you are, the better your chances of attracting qualified talent.
- Don’t make empty promises. There is nothing more disappointing to an applicant than finding out a job isn’t what it was made out to be. Plus, it would be discouraging to you to lose out on a qualified applicant because you weren’t upfront from the beginning.
Want to use this job description?
Senior Sales Representative Job Responsibilities
Spend some time on the job responsibilities section of your senior sales representative job description. Since you’re hoping to attract quality candidates for your opening, use good diction, concise writing and explicit details, which are all crucial for making a positive first impression. Write this section thoroughly while avoiding excessive detail, and be sure to focus mainly on the position’s primary responsibilities. You may leave the rest for on-the-job training.
A bulleted format is one of the best ways to convey the most amount of information in the least amount of space. If you use this formatting approach, your senior sales representative job description will be easy to skim, keeping jobseekers’ attention more fully and resulting in a higher volume of applications. Also, to avoid overwhelming jobseekers, keep the number of bullet points between six and eight. It’s good practice, too, to begin each bullet with a verb so candidate’s can more readily visualize themselves on the job with your sales team.
We’ve provided some examples of senior sales representative job responsibilities for your review:
- Mentor sales team members
- Prepare reports by collecting team statistics
- Analyze growth opportunities by studying market trends
- Create solutions for customers and deliberate their execution with colleagues
Senior Sales Representative Job Specifications
The job qualifications and skills section of your senior sales representative job description is perhaps the most direct of all. It gets straight to the point with a benchmark of criteria, such as relevant education and work history. It also provides stipulations for the hard and soft skills applicants need to qualify for a position on the sales team.
The consequence of writing this section poorly could be a flood of unfit applicants who are confused by the senior sales representative job description but hopeful that they meet the requirements. This fiasco can be easily prevented. If you take a little extra time to consult your sales executives about their expectations for applicants before writing your document, you’re more likely to draft it successfully. Clarity of minimum requirements will make understanding your expectations easier for jobseekers and reduce your chance of receiving large numbers of applications from unqualified candidates.
Following are a few senior sales representative job specifications to examine for your writing purposes:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher; technical or professional sales preferred
- At least 5 years’ sales experience
- Superior analytical and critical thinking skills
- Superb interpersonal communications skills, particularly oral and written
- Deep understanding of customer service concepts and principles