The responsibilities of a senior software developer can vary widely depending on the company. Many developers write programs from scratch, working individually or with a team to create programs that solve specific problems or meet particular goals. Developers may also spend the bulk of their time maintaining and updating programs already in use.
Top software developers use their creativity as well as their technical expertise to create new and innovative programs. Be sure to mention these qualities in the skills section of your senior software developer job description.
In the job requirements section, it’s a good idea to give specifics about what the job will entail and the day-to-day activities of the position, since the major duties can vary from program maintenance to the creation of completely new programs. Read over the senior software developer job description below for further tips on what to include in your job posting.
Senior Software Developer Job Summary
As a senior software developer with our company, you’ll work closely with a small team of software developers to build, customize and integrate new e-commerce software applications for our company and subsidiaries. You’ll be at the forefront of innovation in online marketplaces, making the shopping experience easier and more pleasurable for our customers and improving our sales numbers in the process. The job will also include updating existing systems and integrating improvements to work on the user interfaces already in operation. As a senior developer, you’ll gain valuable management experience delegating responsibilities to the rest of your team and reviewing the work of junior developers. If you’re a creative problem-solver with the technological skills to make your vision a reality, apply today.
- Work with team members to design innovative software programs that improve and simplify the online shopping experience for customers across various products and brands.
- Ensure all new software functions smoothly across various programs and platforms, including Microsoft and Apple products and mobile systems
- Meet with managers and representatives of company subsidiaries to discuss e-commerce software issues and brainstorm methods of solving existing problems
- Write original code and update existing code, ensuring that all code meets program requirements
- Perform intensive testing of all new and existing programs to ensure they are free of errors and function as intended
- Update and debug existing e-commerce programs to ensure a smooth user experience and a uniform look across a variety of platforms
- Optimize new and existing programs for mobile use, including Apple, Android and Windows smartphones and tablets
- Keep up to date on the newest technological innovations in the field and be ready to apply relevant innovations to our software systems
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field
- Strong portfolio demonstrating your programming and design skills
- Three or more years of industry experience
- Expert knowledge of C++ and at least one other programming language
- Experience optimizing programs for mobile systems
Senior Software Developer Job Responsibilities
The job responsibilities section of your senior software developer job description is one of the most important because it helps candidates understand what they’ll be doing on a day-to-day basis if they land the job. This meaty section of your senior software developer job description also serves as a way for you to tell candidates what you expect of them from the very start.
The senior software developer job responsibilities section should be short, to-the-point and easy to read, so it’s best to use descriptive, but concise bullet points. You should also start each bullet point with a strong action verb so candidates are easily able to envision themselves working in the position and meeting the day-to-day requirements of the job. Plan on including at least 6-8 bullet points in this section so you give candidates enough information, but don’t overwhelm them.
Here are some examples of job responsibilities to include in your job description:
* Develop software solutions by studying organizational needs and conferring regularly with users* Determine operational feasibility of software solutions by evaluating sample methods and refining them * Improve department operations by conducting regular systems analysis and recommending alternatives * Organize and put together flowcharts, diagrams, layouts and other materials to present to other departments
Senior Software Developer Job Specifications
The job qualifications and skills section of your senior software developer job description lets candidates know exactly what qualifications they need to have to fill the open position. For this reason, you need to be crystal clear about what senior software developer job specifications candidates need to possess in the description so you don’t have to weed through an abundance of resumes from jobseekers who don’t qualify.
Although this part of your senior software developer job description may be short, it is one of the most important. To prevent lost time during the hiring process looking through resumes from candidates who don’t qualify, make sure hiring managers and anywhere else involved understands what qualifications you want from the person you hire and which you prefer. You should also conduct a conversation with those working on the hiring process with you about what skills your ideal candidate possesses.
Take a look at these job specifications you might want to include in your own job description:
Experience with software design, software testing and software documentation General programming skills with the ability to identify issues with various software programs At least five years of experience in a software developing role Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a closely related field