A senior systems engineer manages the computer and network systems for a company, including designing new solutions to address complex application and network issues and performance goals. This advanced position may also include integration of new technology and oversight of systems developers and other IT personnel.
Your senior systems engineer job description should target jobseekers with a significant amount of relevant experience and a four-year degree in computer science or a similar field. An ideal candidate should be proficient with systems management tools and have current knowledge of technology offerings and product capabilities.
This position requires excellent interpersonal skills, including written and verbal communication along with organizational abilities. Look through the senior systems engineer job description template below to see other information and skills to include in your own job listing.
Senior Systems Engineer Job Summary
If you have extensive systems engineering experience and are looking for a job that will present new challenges and allow you to oversee top-level implementation of new designs and technologies, we want you to be our senior systems engineer. You will work closely with database architects, DevOps experts and systems analysts to develop and implement new solutions to address our evolving performance and efficiency requirements. You will engineer mission-focused IT programs that incorporate both existing infrastructure and new system technologies, and work with senior executives to find the best strategies to meet requirements. We rely on our systems engineering team to build the foundation for our success, so we offer competitive pay, excellent benefits and professional development opportunities.
- Study and understand all current and upcoming system requirements, including both fine-level details and overarching strategic goals, and communicate this information effectively to staff members and executives
- Support development and implementation of new technologies within a large systems environment by advising on design concepts and changes, implementation strategies and deployment timelines
- Coordinate with engineers, software developers and systems analysts to design effective solutions that meet requirements for functionality and integration with existing components
- Manage development, testing and deployment of software and other computer systems technologies to ensure compliance with operational requirements for security, performance, reliability and scalability
- Research existing and emerging hardware and software technologies to determine capabilities and cost-benefits relationship, and develop ongoing computer systems solutions that meet performance and budgetary requirements
- Oversee database administrators, network designers and lower-level IT personnel to facilitate well-organized and efficient planning and implementation of computer systems, and inform senior managers when human resources requirements change
- Create thorough documentation records of design specifications and instructional manuals as necessary to enable all computer systems personnel and end users to interact correctly and effectively with hardware and software systems
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, computer science or related field
- At least seven years of systems engineering experience
- Proficient with MySQL, Python and Linux
- Excellent communication, organizational and time-management skills
- Master’s degree in information systems management or MBA
- SysOps Certification
An efficient and successful hiring campaign starts with a well-written senior systems engineer job description. Once you’ve finalized your job listing, you need to decide where to post it online to encourage applications from many qualified candidates. There are several options, including free and paid job boards and professional social networks. You may also want to post the listing on your company’s official website and encourage recommendations from current employees.
Many recruiters find that posting in numerous places yields the best results because it provides a high level of visibility and reaches the largest pool of potential candidates. However, going through the steps to format and post your job listing on each site can be tedious and time-consuming. If you want to work more efficiently, consider using MightyRecruiter to post to free job boards quickly and easily.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter