Many times, the first impression job seekers are going to get of your company is whatever job description you post online. While there are many other avenues to seek out new hires, the internet has truly taken over that field. You need to write a description that is easy to find and contains all the information an individual would need to know in order to determine if he or she would want to apply to your open senior tax accountant position. Whether you have written these descriptions before or if this is your very first time, there are a few things to keep in mind. If you need ideas for what direction to take your job listing, read through our own senior tax accountant job description sample.
Senior Tax Accountant Job Summary
Using your knowledge of local, state and federal tax laws, you will need to prepare the company’s tax documents. You will need to research and implement new strategies based on changes within the law.
Senior Tax Accountant Job Responsibilities and Duties
- File the company’s tax documents, including quarterly payments, extensions and tax returns
- Recommend new strategies based on new taxation laws on the local, state or federal level
- Prepare, consolidate and review provision schedules
- Maintain the proper materials so that you will be capable of interpreting and reviewing changes in the law
- Look into potential acquisitions and mergers to determine profitability, which includes finding areas to save on taxes, calculating ratios and analyzing any additional tax information
- Streamline procedures and offer recommendations on how the tax filing process can run more efficiently
Senior Tax Accountant Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s in finance, accounting or business
- Five years of experience working as a tax accountant
- Ability to interpret legal documents
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of general ledger systems
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Willingness to work overtime and weekends when needed
Mattress Royalty is a national supplier of mattresses, and we are looking for a skilled senior tax accountant to join our ranks. Our national headquarters is located in Austin, TX although this position is for our location in Boston, MA. We have been in business since 1953, and we are looking forward to many more decades of giving Americans the mattresses they need.
Writing a Job Description Best Practices
- The senior tax accountant job description sample given above is exactly that: a sample. Your own listing needs to be customized to meet your precise needs. You should also be certain that the following list of rules is abided by.
- Do consider how your job description would look like on a smart phone or tablet. More job seekers than ever before are looking for new work on their mobile devices, and you should make sure your description looks good on those items in addition to looking good on a standard computer.
- Do use videos and graphics in your description if you can. This material can make your company stand out in job seekers’ minds. It can also help make your position sound different than what everyone else is offering.
- Do post links to your company’s website and social media accounts on your job description so that those interested can seek out additional information about your company.
- Do include a “call to action” at the end of your job description. Encourage job hunters to send you their resumes or to reach out if they have any questions.
- Do not write this job description without consulting other people in your organization first. Other people can proofread it for you and tell you if something needs to be fixed. You may have some skilled linguists working for you who can tell you if something should be worded differently. You can also consult your graphics department to see if they can whip up any visuals.
- Do not talk about benefits or even salary if it goes against company protocol. Every business has different rules about whether that kind of information should be discussed before the interview. Consult with the appropriate department if there is any uncertainty.
- Do think about what keywords would help job seekers find your job description. People often look through new jobs through search engines like Bing or Google. By incorporating keywords, you can help individuals find your job posting.
All this information certainly makes it seem like it will take a while to write a great job description. While that can be the case, it is worth it if you can find the best senior tax accountant available.
Senior Tax Accountant Job Responsibilities
When creating your senior tax accountant job description, laying out exactly what the applicant will be responsible for is extremely important. While attracting candidates with the right qualifications is imperative, you also need to let them know what you expect of them in the job itself. To keep it easy to read, outline 6-8 responsibilities in bullet form.
As you lay out the senior tax accountant job responsibilities, use strong action verbs to start each task. This helps applicants envision themselves as employees, and those who are not interested in the duties can choose not to apply.
Some examples you can include in your senior tax accountant job description are:
- Prepare partnership, not-for-profit income, C and S Corporation, state individual and federal individual tax returns
- Prepare income tax projections for individuals and businesses, and participate in tax planning for clients with a high net worth
- Train staff accountants and develop firm-wide tax training discussions and seminars
- Recommend tax strategies and identify profitability of potential acquisitions and mergers; identify areas of tax reductions and savings
- Prepare for audits by organizing and reviewing documents and assisting external auditor
- Inspect accounting systems and books for efficiency and compliance with state and federal regulations
Senior Tax Accountant Job Specifications
Finding the right employee for the job can be challenging, but it helps to outline specifically what you are looking for in your senior tax accountant job description. The skills and qualifications section may not seem as significant because it is one of the shortest sections, but if you write it correctly, you will narrow down the number of applicants by weeding out those who do not have the necessary education or experience.
When listing the senior tax accountant job specifications, conduct a little research to figure out exactly what qualifications the position requires. It helps to define preferable qualities as well so you attract the perfect employee. A strong senior tax accountant should have experience working with taxes and be detail oriented. Each job will also have specific qualifications that applicants must meet before you can consider them for the position.
The following are some examples of what you may want to include in your senior tax accountant job description:
- BA or BS degree in accounting from accredited university
- CPA license certified
- Minimum of three years in public accounting firm
- Great verbal and written communications skills
- Excellent computer and math skills with knowledge of Macro and SQL preferred
- Highly organized with ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects