Service unit operators run equipment designed to increase the flow of oil from producing wells. These operators are also expected to perform regular inspections on their equipment. They may also have to find obstructions in drilling wells so the blockage can be removed.
As you discuss skills in your service unit operator job description, you need to be sure to include the most important skills, such as the ability to determine the cause of an error and communications skills. In some cases, service unit operators may have to work together to figure out the best solution for a problem.
A well-written and informative service unit operator job description can go a long way in finding a good employee. Use the example provided below to get a better idea of the elements you may want to include in your own post.
Service Unit Operator Job Summary
Do you enjoy working with your hands to operate machinery and find solutions to complex problems? As a service unit operator at our company, you get a chance to be a part of a dedicated team in the oil, gas and mining industry to run machines related to drilling and perform regular safety inspections to keep all of the equipment running smoothly and safely. On this team, you will collaborate with other service unit operators to troubleshoot error messages and create efficient work plans. While certain day-to-day activities remain the same, this job provides plenty of flexibility in your work activities as you complete special projects or machine maintenance.
- Operate controls that move derricks or rigs on a daily basis to increase drilling efficiency by finding the best positions for the equipment
- Maintain equipment by performing regular safety inspections and making necessary repairs
- Record time spent doing a job, all of the services performed and the tools used to create a detailed bill for clients
- Detect irregular conditions or defective operations by listening to equipment, such as rotary chains and engines, as a part of the troubleshooting process
- Work directly with engineers to gather information about the required tool size or current borehole conditions for a particular project
- Install pressure-control devices onto the wellheads to monitor and gain control over the pressure within a well and surrounding pipes
- Determine the best method and tools needed to remove obstacles from the well, such as broken casing, liners, screens and drill pipes, by interpreting instrument readings related to the depth of an obstruction
- Seal wells that are no longer in use to maintain safety of the work site, and follow state and federal guidelines
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Ability to endure repetitive movements
- Strong decision-making skills
- Solid oral and written communication skills
- Technical knowledge of machinery, such as hoists, pipe-handling equipment and slickline cutters
- Ability to work closely with others
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Ability to endure working in outdoor conditions in a range of temperatures
- Knowledge of data logger software
Because making a standout hire is an important part of your job, you need to realize that creating an informative service unit operator job description is really only the first step in the hiring process. After you have built your own posting, you need to make sure the right people are seeing it. How can you achieve this goal?
Putting your description in a variety of locations can help increase who sees the post. For example, you can use your company website, various online job boards and social media to advertise the job across a wide range of audiences. Managing all of these postings does not have to be hard or time consuming. You can use the free job postings from MightyRecruiter to put your post up on multiple sites simultaneously.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter