Sewing machine operators tend and control industrial sewing machines to create both garments and non-garment items. They use patterns and written instructions to guide their work.
When writing your sewing machine operator job description, you should state that the ideal candidate will have strong technical and problem-solving skills, while also being able to work as part of a team. Mention that previous experience with sewing machines may be helpful.
Attention to detail, manual dexterity and time management are also vital skills in this job, so listing these as requirements can help you attract qualified applicants. Study the sewing machine operator job description below to get a better idea of what to include and what to leave out.
Sewing Machine Operator Job Summary
Do you enjoy working with your hands to make tangible products that brighten up people’s lives and homes? Do you have an eye for color and a mind for details? Put your strengths to work as a sewing machine operator with our company. In this role, you will work as part of small team creating and assembling household soft goods such as bedding, table linens and accent pillows in all the latest styles. In addition to operating machinery, you will learn solid construction and design principles and get a feel for upcoming seasonal home decor trends. This is the perfect role for a mechanically inclined, detail-oriented problem solver who is interested in the field of interior design.
- Operate and maintain sewing machines and related parts, including pattern plates, needles, presser feet, automatic cutting tools and blades
- Read and interpret work orders and adjust machines and materials to match, including selecting fabric, thread and needles, mounting necessary attachments and double-checking settings before beginning a large run
- Inspect and repair finished products as needed and make machine adjustments to compensate for errors or quality issues
- Record accurately the materials used, maintenance performed and number of pieces completed during each shift, keeping each of these metrics within target ranges
- Attach elastic, cord, zippers, hooks, buttons and other trimmings to sewn pieces according to work order instructions and diagrams
- Prepare materials for machine embroidery and other automatic embellishment, including securing fabric in hoops, templates or clamps and guiding into machine
- Troubleshoot basic machinery problems and request service or repairs as needed
- Meet or exceed consistent daily and weekly output and quality goals
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Must be at least 18 years old to work with industrial machines
- Able to stand throughout shift
- Good physical (hand/eye) coordination
- Able to lift 50 pounds on a regular basis
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Some experience with sewing machines
Now that you have some ideas about what to include in your sewing machine operator job description, it’s time to send your job posting out into the world. When planning your job opening advertising strategy, think about where and how your ideal candidate is most likely to find out about your opportunity. Will it be word of mouth? Will your company website’s employment page appear in general search results? Maybe you will post to a local classifieds website like Craigslist.
Most job-seekers search major job boards, while others look for employment opportunities on social media sites. Cross-posting your opening on various social networks and job boards is a good way to get the word out that you are hiring, but doing so can take up a lot of your precious time. MightyRecruiter can help you out by enabling you to post jobs for free on hundreds of boards at once.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter