Sheet metal workers are responsible for installing and sometimes fabricating thin metal sheets used in a variety of applications. They have daily duties such as fastening metal seams, welding, bolting, creating supportive frameworks, taking measurements and maneuvering material around. They install HVAC ducts, metal roofing, gutters and siding. Sheet metal workers can also work in factories and shops, creating metal sheets and operating the equipment used in the process.
You will want to highlight specific skills in your sheet metal worker job description. For instance, mechanical abilities are essential to do the job, as these workers use various tools and operate and maintain equipment.
Physical strength is also important for sheet metal workers. They should additionally have the proper math skills needed to take accurate measurements. Look at the example below if you want to get a good idea of how to write a good sheet metal worker job description.
Sheet Metal Worker Job Summary
As a sheet metal worker with our company, you will become part of a team of stellar employees who are highly valued and skilled. We are a family owned and operated business dedicated to performing quality work and providing outstanding service to our customers. As a member of our team, you will plan, lay out, repair and install sheet metal products and parts. You will get to put your technical and mathematical skills to use operating tools and machines and taking measurements according to blueprints. This role will be great for anyone who wants to make the most of their abilities and grow with a family-oriented company committed to hard work.
- Utilize and interpret blueprints to determine how and where to fabricate, assemble and install sheet metal products
- Measure, mark dimensions and lay out material to be installed using tools such as scribes, rulers, calculators and squares
- Fasten joints and seams in sheet metal with solder, welds, caulk, bolts and metal driver clips, ensuring work is done carefully and bonds will last
- Install assemblies, including pipes, HVAC ducts, flashings, rain gutters and furnace casings in supportive frameworks
- Ensure that efficiency is maximized while fabricating and installing HVAC systems
- Use hand and power tools to trim, buff, smooth, file and grind metal surfaces and joints of parts that have been assembled to ensure safety and a seamless appearance
- Select the appropriate type and gauge of sheet metal to be used in projects according to specifications
- Ensure safety is a priority on the job during all activities, including using tools and installing and fabricating metal
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Ability to lift heavy materials and tools
- Must be able to read and interpret blueprints
- Excellent math skills
- 1-4 years of sheet metal experience
- OSHA certification
- Knowledge of building codes
Writing an outstanding sheet metal worker job description is just as important as placing that description in the right places. If you want to find the candidates you are looking for, you will need to ensure your description is viewed by qualified people.
There are many places to put your job description, including your website and your social networks. You can also utilize referrals from your current employees to find the winning candidates. Online job boards are yet another source to use to reach out to potential employees. MightyRecruiter can help you take a step in the right direction and save time by allowing you to post jobs for free to hundreds of boards at once.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter