Sheet metal workers are responsible for installing and sometimes fabricating thin metal sheets used in a variety of applications. They have daily duties such as fastening metal seams, welding, bolting, creating supportive frameworks, taking measurements and maneuvering material around. They install HVAC ducts, metal roofing, gutters and siding. Sheet metal workers can also work in factories and shops, creating metal sheets and operating the equipment used in the process.
You will want to highlight specific skills in your sheet metal worker job description. For instance, mechanical abilities are essential to do the job, as these workers use various tools and operate and maintain equipment.
Physical strength is also important for sheet metal workers. They should additionally have the proper math skills needed to take accurate measurements. Look at the example below if you want to get a good idea of how to write a good sheet metal worker job description.
Sheet Metal Worker Job Summary
As a sheet metal worker with our company, you will become part of a team of stellar employees who are highly valued and skilled. We are a family owned and operated business dedicated to performing quality work and providing outstanding service to our customers. As a member of our team, you will plan, lay out, repair and install sheet metal products and parts. You will get to put your technical and mathematical skills to use operating tools and machines and taking measurements according to blueprints. This role will be great for anyone who wants to make the most of their abilities and grow with a family-oriented company committed to hard work.
- Utilize and interpret blueprints to determine how and where to fabricate, assemble and install sheet metal products
- Measure, mark dimensions and lay out material to be installed using tools such as scribes, rulers, calculators and squares
- Fasten joints and seams in sheet metal with solder, welds, caulk, bolts and metal driver clips, ensuring work is done carefully and bonds will last
- Install assemblies, including pipes, HVAC ducts, flashings, rain gutters and furnace casings in supportive frameworks
- Ensure that efficiency is maximized while fabricating and installing HVAC systems
- Use hand and power tools to trim, buff, smooth, file and grind metal surfaces and joints of parts that have been assembled to ensure safety and a seamless appearance
- Select the appropriate type and gauge of sheet metal to be used in projects according to specifications
- Ensure safety is a priority on the job during all activities, including using tools and installing and fabricating metal
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Ability to lift heavy materials and tools
- Must be able to read and interpret blueprints
- Excellent math skills
- 1-4 years of sheet metal experience
- OSHA certification
- Knowledge of building codes
Sheet Metal Worker Job Responsibilities
The job responsibilities section is one of the most important parts of your sheet metal worker job description. It gives jobseekers a more in-depth look at the daily activities, goals and responsibilities of the position and helps them decide if they can picture themselves within the role. The stronger this section, the more likely it is to weed out unsuitable candidates from the more promising contenders, saving your hiring manager critical time and energy in the future.
Be descriptive but not exhaustive as you write this part of your description. Aim to include at least six but not more than eight bullet points, and make each one count by listing specific responsibilities that are crucial to the role. Make your sheet metal worker job description stand out to jobseekers even more by starting each statement with a bold action verb.
To ensure this section is as strong as it can be, compare your list to these sample sheet metal worker job responsibilities:
- Measure, cut and bend various types of sheet metal into appropriate sizes and shapes
- Connect ducts and joints by welding, bolting, riveting or soldering
- Read and analyze blueprints and operate computerized fabricating equipment such as shears, saws and presses
- Drill, anchor and install sheet metal parts according to product specifications
Sheet Metal Worker Job Specifications
It may be small, but the skills and qualifications section of your sheet metal worker job description is a powerful tool that can make your hiring process much easier and more successful. If accurate and comprehensive, it provides jobseekers with a clear understanding of whether they qualify as candidates and should apply for the position, increasing your chances of receiving appropriate applications and finding the most ideal candidate.
A position of this kind requires candidates to have a very specific set of skills and areas of expertise, so be concise but thorough as you build this section of your sheet metal worker job description. Talk to your hiring manager to determine realistic minimum requirements concerning education, experience and other important aspects of the job. Remember to decide which qualifications are “necessary” and which are “preferred,” and list accordingly.
To get started, refer to these example sheet metal worker job specifications:
- Proven experience in the assembly, installation and maintenance of sheet metal
- High school diploma or equivalent; relevant certification preferred
- Expertise in CAD and BIM software and blueprint interpretation
- Knowledge of sheet metal tools and equipment
- Excellent hand-eye coordination and the ability to carry heavy sheets
- Strong attention to detail with skills in customer service and communication