Shipping professionals are responsible for receiving, tracking and sending orders to customers, and verifying that products arrive on time and to the right person. They also use radio frequency identification to scan barcodes for organized and thorough documentation of all inventory. Other responsibilities may include computing the cost of freight, putting together invoices and verifying product shipment.
When articulating the skills section of your shipping job description, you will want to highlight the most important qualities a candidate will need to excel in the position. These include effective communication, customer service and attention to detail to ensure that all orders are received and processed in an organized and carefully documented manner.
Math skills are also valuable to have when preparing invoices and calculating freight and transportation expenses. The shipping job description template below is an excellent resource to consult as you begin writing your own posting.
Shipping Job Summary
Do you enjoy the challenge of meeting deadlines and working in a team environment? As a shipping professional, you will play an integral role in getting products to our customers on time. You will have the opportunity to work as part of a team and strengthen valuable skills including organization, communication and attention to detail. In conjunction with preparing shipping invoices and package contents for our loyal customers, you will work with supervisors who are committed to helping you find success. You will gain experience in computing freight costs and documenting inventory to guarantee every package reaches its destination. Find out how working with us allows you to strengthen core competencies in an environment that is centered around providing superior service to our customers.
- Compute freight costs using predetermined mathematical equations to determine budgetary requirements for shipping
- Determine viable fulfillment services that have the reputation, work ethic and experience to deliver products on time and in expected condition
- Prepare invoices that reflect the contents, pricing and destination for application to each package that is shipped
- Manipulate sophisticated barcode software to document and track each order to estimate arrival, keep track of orders shipped and verify when an item has been delivered
- Research solutions for increased proficiency in shipping platforms, freight and logistics rates, and innovative ways to protect and deliver products
- Participate in preparing packages for delivery by prepping contents, attaching shipping labels and confirming that all invoices reflect the correct information
- Collaborate with colleagues to find solutions to issues that may arise with delays, damaged product or backordered items
- Maintain an inventory of packaging products including labels, boxes, envelopes, bubble wrap and packing tape
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent degree
- Ability to meet pressing deadlines with attention to detail
- Strong communication skills
- Superior organizational and documentation skills
- Experience using label-making software and packaging machinery
- Familiarity with ERP software such as MSR Visual Exporter Enterprise Integrator
Want to use this job description?
Shipping Job Responsibilities
The responsibilities section of the shipping job description should quickly draw the attention of jobseekers, giving them a complete list of the duties they will complete each day if you hire them. Jobseekers can use this information to determine whether to pursue an open position. With a content-rich, high-quality shipping job responsibilities section, you’ll find that you won’t have to spend as much time reviewing applications from candidates who aren’t a good fit.
Format the tasks section using a short selection of bullet points. This makes it easy for jobseekers to scan the listing and gauge their interest. Although the job responsibilities section should always be the most in-depth portion of the job description, it doesn’t have to be lengthy. Instead, limit yourself to eight bullet points and include the key responsibilities unique to the shipping department. Finally, choose action verbs that clearly define your position.
You can get started writing your shipping job description by using these examples:
- Perform office duties, such as answering the phone, maintaining updated records and providing customer service
- Problem-solve shipping delays, routing issues and rush orders
- Organize statements of origin, shipping lists, shipping cost spreadsheets, receipt dates and other shipping records
- Develop knowledge concerning shipping regulations and practices
- Complete assignments on time with high accuracy
- Work closely with others in a hectic dispatch department
Shipping Job Specifications
An effective shipping job description has a strong qualifications and skills section, which begins with a carefully selected list of shipping job specifications. Even though this section tends to be short, it can dramatically affect the quality of candidates who seek the position. Be sure to outline key skills, including the minimum requirements, so jobseekers without the right qualifications don’t take up your interview time.
As you spend time considering the possible requirements for your section, focus on the specific details of your expectations. For example, you may not care whether your applicant has a college degree, so don’t list that as a requirement.
A helpful tip for developing an effective job qualifications and skills section of your shipping job description is to reach out to those people who are already working in the shipping department, or the supervisor of that team. Ask about requirements that you can’t do without and skills that would make it easier for a candidate to stand out. Be sure that you list those items clearly, so that jobseekers can easily discern between necessary and preferred skills.
Consider using the following requirements to get started on your qualifications and skills section:
- High school or GED equivalent preferred
- At least 1 year of experience in a retail atmosphere
- Superior time management and organization skills
- Ability to stay on task in a fast-paced environment
- Willing to work early, late and weekends
- Good physical condition and ability to lift up to 50 pounds