Shipping professionals are responsible for receiving, tracking and sending orders to customers, and verifying that products arrive on time and to the right person. They also use radio frequency identification to scan barcodes for organized and thorough documentation of all inventory. Other responsibilities may include computing the cost of freight, putting together invoices and verifying product shipment.
When articulating the skills section of your shipping job description, you will want to highlight the most important qualities a candidate will need to excel in the position. These include effective communication, customer service and attention to detail to ensure that all orders are received and processed in an organized and carefully documented manner.
Math skills are also valuable to have when preparing invoices and calculating freight and transportation expenses. The shipping job description template below is an excellent resource to consult as you begin writing your own posting.
Shipping Job Summary
Do you enjoy the challenge of meeting deadlines and working in a team environment? As a shipping professional, you will play an integral role in getting products to our customers on time. You will have the opportunity to work as part of a team and strengthen valuable skills including organization, communication and attention to detail. In conjunction with preparing shipping invoices and package contents for our loyal customers, you will work with supervisors who are committed to helping you find success. You will gain experience in computing freight costs and documenting inventory to guarantee every package reaches its destination. Find out how working with us allows you to strengthen core competencies in an environment that is centered around providing superior service to our customers.
- Compute freight costs using predetermined mathematical equations to determine budgetary requirements for shipping
- Determine viable fulfillment services that have the reputation, work ethic and experience to deliver products on time and in expected condition
- Prepare invoices that reflect the contents, pricing and destination for application to each package that is shipped
- Manipulate sophisticated barcode software to document and track each order to estimate arrival, keep track of orders shipped and verify when an item has been delivered
- Research solutions for increased proficiency in shipping platforms, freight and logistics rates, and innovative ways to protect and deliver products
- Participate in preparing packages for delivery by prepping contents, attaching shipping labels and confirming that all invoices reflect the correct information
- Collaborate with colleagues to find solutions to issues that may arise with delays, damaged product or backordered items
- Maintain an inventory of packaging products including labels, boxes, envelopes, bubble wrap and packing tape
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent degree
- Ability to meet pressing deadlines with attention to detail
- Strong communication skills
- Superior organizational and documentation skills
- Experience using label-making software and packaging machinery
- Familiarity with ERP software such as MSR Visual Exporter Enterprise Integrator
Creating an engaging, informative and memorable job description is only the first step to attract the attention of qualified candidates. From here, it is critical to get your information in front of the right people, and the best way to accomplish that is to use the right networks.
There are many valuable ways to advertise a job opening. Options you may consider include tradeshow marketing, social media advertisement, referral emails and even a catchy blurb on your web page. Another successful way to get your posting out to interested candidates is to use online job boards where job seekers can filter content and use keywords to find your posting. To get started, use MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free, such as your shipping job description.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter