Skincare specialists use a variety of methods to beautify and cleanse the body and face to enhance the skin’s appearance. They have many tasks and responsibilities, including analyzing the conditions of their clients’ skin, recommending products they should use, providing facial and full-body treatment services and performing hair removal.
On your skincare specialist job description, there are some specific qualities you should highlight that you want your candidates to have. It is important for these professionals to have exceptional customer service skills because they regularly work with people. They need to be friendly so they bring back repeat customers.
Additionally, skincare specialists need to be able to manage their time well and have the physical stamina to stand for good portions of the day while they perform their services. Use the skincare specialist job description template that follows as you begin writing to see how to incorporate the key points.
Skincare Specialist Job Summary
Do you enjoy teaching people about healthy skincare habits? Do you have a passion for providing outstanding customer service? If so, you will be an excellent fit with our company as a skincare specialist. Our team of knowledgeable and skilled specialists is dedicated to making people happy with their skin. In this position, you will get to work in a positive atmosphere where you will engage directly with clients to figure out their needs and determine the solutions that will best work for them. We value each of our employees and ensure the work environment is enthusiastic and supportive so they may pass the positivity on to our clients. This is a great position for those who want to grow with a company and put their skills to use.
- Examine clients’ skin carefully using the appropriate tools to determine skin appearance and condition so the right treatments may be provided
- Sterilize equipment and ensure work areas are clean and sanitary
- Use face masks and peels and other specialized products and techniques to treat clients’ facial skin to improve texture and appearance
- Determine which colors or products will effectively suit clients and improve their specific quality of skin
- Perform simple blackhead extraction as needed to help clients achieve healthy, clean and acne-free skin
- Demonstrate proper techniques for cleaning and caring for skin and recommend skincare regimens based on client needs
- Analyze skin issues and determine whether you are able to treat the problem or if the client needs to be referred to a medical specialist for further analysis
- Stay up to date on the latest industry trends, treatments, products and research so you can effectively and safely advise and treat clients
Job Skills and Qualifications
- Cosmetology or esthetician program completion
- Excellent customer service skills
- State license
- Previous experience working as an esthetician
- Experience with waxing and microdermabrasion
- Other beauty or health related certifications
Skincare Specialist Job Responsibilities
The core of a well-written and effective skincare specialist job description is an in-depth and accurate job responsibilities list. In this section, you identify the job duties you require daily, weekly, monthly or even yearly, providing a clear picture of the specific expectations you require a jobseeker to meet to succeed in the position. Although the list of skincare specialist job responsibilities should be thorough, clarity and brevity are just as important. Narrowing the list to the primary responsibilities of the job helps attract the strongest candidates.
There are a few key approaches that can help you develop a winning list that successfully outlines how a potential candidate will make a difference for your business. First, using bullet points is an effective way to quickly communicate information in an organized and succinct fashion. Avoid unnecessary wordiness by limiting the list to between six and eight detailed points. Finally, grab the attention of qualified jobseekers by starting each line with a strong action verb.
The list below includes a few examples of potential job responsibilities that may enhance your skincare specialist job description.
- Communicate with clients about concerns and desired results
- Identify skin issues, determine treatment plans and present options to clients
- Perform necessary treatments, including cleaning, laser and waxing
- Educate clients on proper skin care and recommend appropriate products with effective upselling techniques
- Adhere to strict and thorough sanitation procedures
Skincare Specialist Job Specifications
While the job responsibilities section lays the groundwork for your skincare specialist job description by describing the scope of the position, the job qualifications and skills section identifies the specific requirements necessary to successfully fulfill duties of the job. These requirements, when plainly and effectively communicated, help weed out applicants who do not fit your needs. If you neglect this area of your skincare specialist job description, you may have to deal with an overwhelming and unnecessary amount of applications, wasting your time, energy and resources on sorting through unqualified applicants.
You may consider first making a long list of the qualities and skills desired in a potential employee, and once the list is complete, combing through it several times to identify the attributes that are non-negotiable. For clarity, many employers choose to structure this portion of the job description in two different sections, separating the required skincare specialist job specifications from those that are simply a plus.
For inspiration in crafting job specifications for your job description, refer to the list below.
- High school diploma or GED
- Minimum two years of experience in a spa, salon or related environment
- Current Texas State Board of Cosmetology or Esthetics License
- Strong customer service skills
- Exceptional listening, interpersonal and conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrated ability to perform various aesthetic treatments