Social science research assistants support social scientists in conducting experiments, analyzing results and preparing research for publication. They fulfill lab management tasks, maintain quality standards and implement testing procedures.
To perform their jobs well, social science research assistants should have extensive training in social science research methods. This generally requires them to hold a bachelor’s degree in psychology, sociology or another social science. Your social science research assistant job description should mention the desired field of study and any specific types of experience that will be useful in completing job duties.
Data management is a substantial component of social science research assistants’ jobs, so they should be adept at using databases and analysis software. They should also be detail-oriented problem solvers with strong interpersonal skills. If you want to learn more about how to write a thorough social science research assistant job description, read the example listed below.
Social Science Research Assistant Job Summary
Hollington University’s Social Science Research Institution is seeking a research assistant to enhance our research efforts and strengthen our lab’s performance. As part of our research staff, you will aid the primary investigators in conducting a portion of the longitudinal Babies and Beyond study. Over the course of more than 12 years, this study has revealed fascinating information about child social development, and you will have the opportunity to be on the front lines of additional discoveries. You will work under Dr. Dominic Perkins, supporting his research through data management, subject testing, grant proposal writing and manuscript preparation. Due to the prestige of our lab and the comprehensive range of job duties, this position is an excellent transitional step if you are seeking entry into graduate study programs.
- Ensure the integrity of the project by mastering existing test protocols and administering them accurately
- Review previously published research and apply findings to develop test protocols to be used in future portions of the study
- Perform subject intake interviews, administer tests, code data and track subject information, recording data at the end of each visit
- Use SPSS to run data analysis tasks such as reliability and validity testing, contingency table formulation and significance testing
- Develop graphs, tables and reports explaining experiment results, incorporate them into manuscript drafts and present findings to supervisors approximately once per month
- Contact test subjects to remind them of upcoming visits, schedule them for future visits and ensure they are compensated for their time
- Write portions of quarterly grant proposals, providing granting bodies with compelling evidence of the importance of our lab’s work
- Update databases, manage virtual and physical files, organize documentation and maintain neat and welcoming testing areas
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in psychology or other social science
- Demonstrable familiarity with social science research methods
- Proficiency with SPSS or other data analysis software
- Strong writing and speaking skills
- Highly organized, able to efficiently and accurately manage large quantities of data
- Outgoing personality and ability to make lab visitors feel comfortable
After you have gotten your social science research assistant job description just right, you can tackle the next steps of the hiring process. To find your dream employees, you need to make your job listing available across multiple recruiting channels. Social media has risen as a valuable hiring tool, and employee referrals continue to be reliable resources as well. As lucrative as these methods can be, however, you should still make use of job boards if you want to maximize your chances of success.
Job boards tend to reach the widest audiences, but posting your job listing to all of them can be tedious work. After putting all that effort into writing your job description, you have earned a shortcut. Make your life easier and use MightyRecruiter to post to free job boards in a matter of minutes.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter