Social scientists study human behavior and the mental, social and biological processes that influence and result from it. To deepen their understanding of these phenomena, they design and conduct experiments, analyze the results and share their findings with colleagues and the public.
Depending on their preferred areas of concentration, social scientists usually have master’s or doctoral degrees in psychology or sociology. Your social scientist job description should clarify the level of education and experience necessary to fulfill the duties of the position.
Because their work consists primarily of designing and conducting studies, social scientists must have strong analytical skills to be successful at their jobs. You should also make sure to hire candidates who have excellent interpersonal skills because they will regularly interact with human test subjects. Keep reading to find out what else you should include in your social scientist job description.
Social Scientist Job Summary
The Human Behavior Lab at Piaget University is seeking a social scientist to join our staff, lead two of our principal studies and conduct additional research. You will contribute your expertise to the Diversity and Growth Project and the Social Safety Net Study, both of which have been in development for the past six months. While improving these existing studies and influencing the direction of their execution, you will also have the opportunity to pursue your own research goals and take advantage of the resources and reputation of our APA accredited laboratory. You will report directly to Dr. Hayden McLaughlin, who is widely renowned for her contributions to the current body of research on the development and manifestation of biases and preferences.
- Lead team of research assistants in further developing the parameters of two in-progress studies, and oversee the execution and analysis of these studies over the next three to five years
- Strengthen the significance of these projects by contributing expertise of the field, familiarity with published research and experience with designing and conducting previous experiments
- Spearhead additional social science experiments, educate research staff on background, allocate study design duties and oversee implementation of tasks
- Create and use methods for measuring human behavior, such as test protocols, computer programs, physical apparatuses and biophysical profiling devices
- Follow emerging social science research and current events to develop more comprehensive understanding of human behavior and inform further directions of study
- Write academic articles detailing the background, development, execution, results and conclusions of studies, and submit at least three articles per year to social science journals
- Contribute critical knowledge to grant proposals, recommend information to be included and approve final drafts before submission
- Review studies conducted by other social scientists for errors in reliability, validity and other strength factors, completing at least one review per month
Job Skills & Qualifications
- PhD in psychology or sociology
- Five years’ experience in a professional position at a behavioral research laboratory
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated, investigative and analytical personality
- Familiarity with SPSS analysis software
- Experience conducting peer reviews and writing grant proposals
If you are determined to hire only the best applicants, writing a fantastic social scientist job description is a wonderful place to start. Once that part is taken care of, you can start posting your job opening to outlets where qualified candidates will see it. Posting directly on your company website will help you find applicants who already appreciate your institution, while taking advantage of social media enables you to make numerous connections for almost no cost.
Typically, job boards are one of the best resources for hooking new talent, but it can be tedious and costly to post your job description to multiple boards individually. Fortunately, you have the option to post to free job boards by signing up for MightyRecruiter.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter