Social service assistants serve a variety of people in need of assistance to optimize their living conditions. They work to find services and benefits that will help clients remain in their homes, afford healthcare and stay independent. Often, they are part of a care team that assists clients because of their age, poor health, or disability.
To locate and secure services for disadvantaged individuals, social service assistants must have compassion for their clients. Remember to also include problem-solving and time management in the skills section of your social service assistant job description.
You want applicants with excellent communication skills so they can listen to clients’ needs as well as clearly express information and instructions to a wide range of people. Check out the social service assistant job description below to get ideas of how to write your own accurate and engaging job description.
Social Service Assistant Job Summary
Are you looking for a career that really makes a difference in the lives of people in your community? We are currently looking for applicants for the open social service assistant position at our agency. Feel good about making sure families with young children and low-income seniors alike are getting access to nutritious food, medical care, and affordable housing. In addition to finding services for clients, you will follow their progress to make sure they are able to access services. This position is part of our social work department and reports to the social work director. Join us for a friendly team-oriented work atmosphere with opportunities for advancement.
- Perform intake interviews with clients to determine their access to food, medical care and shelter as well as learning about their background and social history
- Research what community services are available to meet clients’ needs that they can qualify for, involving clients in planning as much as possible
- Work in concert with the social services team to implement treatment plan objectives
- Complete assistance application paperwork with the help of clients to access community services
- Participate in administering agency policies at all times to provide consistency of services and compliance with local and federal regulations
- Coordinate with other service agencies in the provision of services to provide a seamless coverage of assistance
- Continue to assess the status of clients to make sure they are receiving services
- Communicate information about a client’s mental, physical and emotional status to other members of their care team to find collaborative solutions to issues.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Must have empathy for disadvantaged individuals who are often in crisis situations
- Need to be able to pass a criminal background check and have a valid driver’s license
- Prior social work experience in direct client care
- Have a license in social work
With the myriad ways potential applicants can get information about job listings, it is easy to get confused when trying to figure out where to post the social service assistant job description you just wrote. Once relegated to the Sunday newspaper, job listings are popping up everywhere from social media networks to job boards.
There are many different areas of the popular job boards category as well, including job aggregators, general and niche job boards and classified sites. Posting to each individually would be a full-time job in itself, but you can choose an easier way to get lots of traffic for your job posting. Use MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free on hundreds of job boards at once.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter