You may struggle to grasp the intricacies of what software engineers do, but grasping how to write the proper job description for a software engineer is a bit easier. Software engineers have to work through layers in order to create relevant software of high quality just as you have to work through layers to craft a job description that’s fitting of the candidate you prefer. For that reason, it’s a good idea to take a close and careful look at a well-written software engineer job description sample to spark some ideas of how your own description should look.
Software Engineer Job Summary
As the chief software engineer of Nirvana, you’ll be tasked with creating new information systems by designing, implementing and installing quality software solutions. You’ll also write, edit and test software and computer programs to ensure they match company standards and are easily useable. The job also entails leading a team of software engineers and working alongside our IT team as well as presenting your progress in weekly meetings.
Software Engineer Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Ensure the proper documentation and demonstration of solutions by use of flowcharts, charts, diagrams, documents (both physical and electronic), layouts and code comments.
- Licence and obtain software by legally obtaining all necessary information from our vendors, test and approve software and recommend future purchases.
- Study analysis, project requirements, software development and all proposed resolutions in order to gauge operation expediency.
- Engage in continuing education and training by studying cutting edge development tools, computer equipment and programming techniques.
- Recommend necessary improvements to procedures and policies with the goal of upgrading operations.
- Ensure all project and company information remains confidential throughout every step of the process.
- Work with users, analyze systems flow, study potential problem areas and observe the software development lifecycle in order to create viable software solutions.
Software Engineer Skills and Qualifications
- At least a master’s degree in science, software or math
● At least five years of experience as a high-ranking software engineer
● At least three years of experience working with an app company
● Proven analytical skills
● Knowledge of the latest software compliance and legal requirements
● Ability to lead a team and unite them under a common goal
● Attention to detail
Nirvana was launched in 2012 by founder Jason Bashmore. He saw a need for mobile therapy and decided to create a series of apps designed to help users cope with depression, anxiety, thoughts of suicide and stress. Our company realizes that not everyone has access to qualified therapists, and not everyone is able to afford the professional services of a therapist. To make it easier for users to get the help they need, Jason and his team created a series of apps called “At Ease.” Nirvana seeks to both fill and bridge a gap to make it affordable and convenient to receive psychological help.
Dos and Don’ts for Writing a Job Description
Having a sample for your software engineer job description is all well and good, but there might be an instance in which the above outline simply doesn’t apply to your circumstances. If you ever find yourself in this category, know there are a few practices to which you’ll want to adhere to improve your chances of not only composing a well-written job description, but of attracting the type of candidate you require as well.
DON’T neglect to tell potential candidates the geographical location of your business and if you’re open to the idea of hiring someone who’s out of state. If you are, you should also mention whether you’re offering a relocation compensation package or another type of assistance.
DO be sure to use bullet points whenever possible. Doing so makes your copy easy to scan and is often better at attracting readers than large blocks of text.
DO include a general idea of your company culture. While a candidate may have all of the skills and qualifications you require in a software engineer, he or she may not have a personality or career goals that are in sync with your company philosophy.
DON’T bring up benefits or compensation before checking your most current company policy to ensure you’re allowed to do so.
DO remember to always be as specific as possible throughout your job description. Don’t hesitate to include certain qualities you aren’t looking for, and be sure to differentiate between qualities, skills and education requirements that are preferred and those that are mandatory.
Software Engineer Job Responsibilities
The job responsibilities section of your software engineer job description carries the most weight because potential employees use it to gauge their ability to do the tasks required. As you choose those duties that are most important to the success of your company and unique to the position, you provide jobseekers with the information they need to determine whether pursuing the opening makes sense for them.
Format the job responsibilities section using bullets so jobseekers can easily digest the information you’ve presented. Each bulleted point should begin with a clear action verb that conveys specific information to the jobseeker. For example, instead of writing, “Communication with clients,” you could write, “Respond to client concerns and answer software questions.” This is a more effective way to provide helpful information. Try to limit your list of software engineer job responsibilities to between six and eight so that jobseekers focus on those duties that are most important.
Here are some examples of great possible additions to a software engineer job description:
- Evaluate and define problems, analyze requirements for successful operation and propose solution
- Develop documentations, diagrams and code to demonstrate and track solutions
- Prepare and implement solutions using system specifications of your design
- Obtain licensing for software with information from vendors and other authorities
- Implement practices to improve the performance of existing software
- Propose and develop new software products from start to finish with input from company leaders
Software Engineer Job Specifications
As jobseekers read through your software engineer job description, they will turn to the job qualifications and skills section to determine whether they have the correct training and experience. As you work to clarify those skills that are most desirable, you may save yourself the time and effort of sorting through a stack of applicants who don’t meet your qualifications standards. For example, you may not be willing to accept a candidate without a specific type of college degree, but if you don’t clarify the type of education you’re looking for, jobseekers with bachelor’s degrees from fields off the mark may apply.
A good way to ensure that you’ve used the right selection of software engineer job specifications is to write this list with the help of a person who is already holding the position, or with their immediate supervisor. Review the qualifications that are absolutely necessary for the completion of the job, and any that might also have an impact on the hiring decision. Separate these qualifications into a required and a preferred list so it’s easy for candidates to gauge whether they have the right set of skills.
Here’s a list of qualifications and skills you might include in your software engineer job description:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related equivalent
- At least 3 years in software development
- Ability to work independently and with a group
- Superior organization and multi-tasking abilities