Solution architects design your data communication networks, and they are the architects behind your communication solutions and safety. Architects research the best networking technologies for your business’ needs and design the layouts. They then present these plans to management for approval. Once installed, solution architects keep all hardware and software up-to-date.
The education required to work in this field is a bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, information systems or other comparable majors with hands-on class laboratory work. You might also require an MBA in information systems in your solution architect job description, many employers do, and each candidate should have at least five years IT experience.
As with all computer-related vocations, the ideal candidate will possess advanced analytical and organizational skills and be an excellent communicator. Please see our sample solution architect job description below for an idea of how to structure your posting.
Solution Architect Job Summary
You are an architect. The only thing is you don’t design buildings, you design the network solutions inside them. If you resonate with this description, we want you. We are looking for a solution architect to assess our data communication needs and layout the plans necessary to meet those needs. You’ll have the chance to exercise your innovation and show us how you can improve our business functionality with data communications that streamline everything we do. Once we’re awed, we’ll give you the go-ahead and budget as well as the freedom that comes with both. We’ll depend on you to lead a dynamic team to implement and maintain our communications network. It’s your design against our competitors’, and your solutions could be just the thing to put us on top.
* Review data communications system requirements with internal and external decision makers to ensure you understand all data networking needs on a project-by-project basis
* Design data networking plans to meet internal and/or external needs and explain in detail documented concepts and costs to decision makers for consideration and approval
* Verify the interoperability, portability and security of all existing and proposed system architecture to ensure maximum functionality and safety for each project
* Work directly with engineers, hardware and software developers and internal support staff to implement all approved data communications network designs
* Install and carry out daily maintenance on all data networking systems, including troubleshooting and repairing when necessary and updating all hardware and software
* Evaluate new technologies on a consistent basis to see if implementation will improve existing data communications network, taking into account costs, security, speed and usability
* Determine if proposed new technology is compatible with existing systems prior to presentation and implementation upon approval
* Train and supervise data communications networking support staff
Job Skills and Qualifications
* Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field
* Minimum five years prior IT work experience
* Advanced analytical and communications skills
* LDAP and blade/web servers
* Database management (e.g. Apache), development (e.g. Adobe), object/component (e.g. ABAP, C++, IBM, Microsoft), OS (e.g. Cisco, IBM), web platform (e.g. AJAX, Adobe, Apache)
* MBA in information systems
Solution Architect Job Responsibilities
Just as a good solution architect is important to defining the framework of your application and system projects, a good solution architect job description is important to defining the framework of a qualified candidate for the job. A poorly written job description runs the risk of either attracting far too many unqualified or overqualified candidates to effectively screen or turning away your ideal candidates with an unappealing advertisement.
To write a substantial yet effective job description, you need to find the middle ground between too much information and too little. Too much and you run the risk of a data dump that lifelessly conveys excess information without getting to the heart of the role; too little information and there isn’t enough criteria for candidates to review to determine if this is a job they really want. Strike down the middle with a list of 8-10 bullet points; use action-oriented language that begins each bullet with strong verbs and focuses on the core functions that make the role essential to your organization.
A smarter solution architect job description means a smarter applicant pool. Review our example of how to write clear, incisive solution architect job responsibilities
- Analyze functional requirements and technical specifications
- Create a clear architecture for an actionable solution and delivery timeline
- Prepare design documents and detailed design specifications
- Communicate with functional leads and team members to drive the design process
- Interface between teams and customer to maintain alignment with SLAs
Solution Architect Job Specifications
The job skills and qualifications section of your solution architect job description is your chance to get down to the nitty gritty. A solution architect’s general job can apply widely across a number of domains and disciplines, so the ideal thing to focus on in your specifications is a list of 5-6 bullets that clarify exactly what’s required for the role within your company. Discuss the types of solutions applicants will work on and how much experience they need with particular disciplines. Provide details on platforms, domains, purposes and environment, such as differentiating between internal development for business purposes and external development for clients.
When in doubt, consult with your team. The people on the ground know better than anyone what it takes to be successful in a particular role and exactly what they need to fill the gaps in their workflows. Their insight won’t steer you wrong, and with input from your team, you’ll be able to build a solid solution architect job description.
Here’s our example of well-written solution architect job specifications:
7-10 years of experience in enterprise solutions Master’s degree in IT discipline required Knowledge of ERP systems design Background in client consulting on large-scale projects Ability to translate technical concepts into business language