Solution architects design your data communication networks, and they are the architects behind your communication solutions and safety. Architects research the best networking technologies for your business’ needs and design the layouts. They then present these plans to management for approval. Once installed, solution architects keep all hardware and software up-to-date.
The education required to work in this field is a bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, information systems or other comparable majors with hands-on class laboratory work. You might also require an MBA in information systems in your solution architect job description, many employers do, and each candidate should have at least five years IT experience.
As with all computer-related vocations, the ideal candidate will possess advanced analytical and organizational skills and be an excellent communicator. Please see our sample solution architect job description below for an idea of how to structure your posting.
Solution Architect Job Summary
You are an architect. The only thing is you don’t design buildings, you design the network solutions inside them. If you resonate with this description, we want you. We are looking for a solution architect to assess our data communication needs and layout the plans necessary to meet those needs. You’ll have the chance to exercise your innovation and show us how you can improve our business functionality with data communications that streamline everything we do. Once we’re awed, we’ll give you the go-ahead and budget as well as the freedom that comes with both. We’ll depend on you to lead a dynamic team to implement and maintain our communications network. It’s your design against our competitors’, and your solutions could be just the thing to put us on top.
* Review data communications system requirements with internal and external decision makers to ensure you understand all data networking needs on a project-by-project basis
* Design data networking plans to meet internal and/or external needs and explain in detail documented concepts and costs to decision makers for consideration and approval
* Verify the interoperability, portability and security of all existing and proposed system architecture to ensure maximum functionality and safety for each project
* Work directly with engineers, hardware and software developers and internal support staff to implement all approved data communications network designs
* Install and carry out daily maintenance on all data networking systems, including troubleshooting and repairing when necessary and updating all hardware and software
* Evaluate new technologies on a consistent basis to see if implementation will improve existing data communications network, taking into account costs, security, speed and usability
* Determine if proposed new technology is compatible with existing systems prior to presentation and implementation upon approval
* Train and supervise data communications networking support staff
Job Skills and Qualifications
* Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field
* Minimum five years prior IT work experience
* Advanced analytical and communications skills
* LDAP and blade/web servers
* Database management (e.g. Apache), development (e.g. Adobe), object/component (e.g. ABAP, C++, IBM, Microsoft), OS (e.g. Cisco, IBM), web platform (e.g. AJAX, Adobe, Apache)
* MBA in information systems
Writing your solution architect job description is your first step in attracting the best candidates in this competitive field. Make certain the right eyes see your job posting by leveraging the power of online platforms beyond your company website; reach out to candidates via technical forums. This is a fantastic way to communicate with qualified job seekers over the internet.
Because this is a position that requires previous job experience, you should also reach out to candidates on professional social media applications. Even if they are currently employed, there’s nothing that says you can’t establish contact in an effort to recruit the best talent. Cast your net even further by using MightyRecruiter free job postings to list your opening on hundreds of boards at one time.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter