Speech-language pathologists perform a variety of duties related to diagnosing, treating and facilitating proper communication in patients. They must have a thorough understanding of speech, swallowing and language disorders and what causes them. They must also know how to use accepted techniques and practices to prevent swallowing and communication disorders and help patients communicate more effectively.
It is important to clearly state the qualities and experience you expect from applicants in your speech-language pathologist job description. Speech-language pathologists frequently work in schools, hospitals and other healthcare facilities. They may treat patients in one-on-one or group settings as needed. They should be personable, patient and naturally caring.
Speech-language pathologists should also have strong problem-solving abilities. For more insight into what you should require from a candidate, take a look at our speech-language pathologist job description template.
Speech-Language Pathologist Job Summary
Are you looking for an opportunity to help others overcome speech challenges and learn to communicate more effectively in a safe and comfortable environment? Join our team of talented professionals who want to support you in reaching new levels of success! With dozens of locations scattered throughout the nation, we give you the opportunity to work from any location of your choice. When you become part of our team, you will benefit immediately from some of the most competitive benefits and compensation packages in the industry. You will also have access to cutting-edge equipment and a supportive environment that enables you to meet your professional goals.
- Evaluate patients to determine their specific speech or language challenges, such as swallowing disorders, stuttering, inappropriate pitch or delayed language, then develop and implement treatment plans to address these issues
- Maintain accurate documentation and write reports detailing initial evaluation, progress, treatment and discharge information
- Monitor patients’ progress continually and make treatment plan adjustments when needed
- Educate patients and their family members on speech-related topics, including coping strategies for communication problems and techniques for improved communication
- Perform administrative duties, including case management activity scheduling, lesson plan creation and paperwork filing and coordination
- Teach clients how to perform various exercises designed to strengthen the muscles of the face, jaw and tongue
- Participate in continuing education courses, additional training, conferences and other activities designed to augment or share knowledge of speech disorder treatment methods
- Consult with medical staff or advise educators on hearing and speech topics, including language stimulation and effective communication strategies
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Master’s degree in speech-language pathology from a program that meets ASHA certification requirements or is accredited by the Educational Standards Board
- One year of experience
- Current state license in speech-language pathology
- Experience developing and implementing speech-language treatment programs
- Ability to pass background check and drug screening
- Experience treating a variety of patient ethnicities/populations
- Experience working with disabled individuals
Congratulations on using the tools here to write a winning speech-language pathologist job description! Keep in mind that this is only the first step toward hiring the right person for the job, and you still need to make sure your job description is seen by the right people. Thankfully, you have a variety of job posting options available to you to make your job description as visible as possible.
While you probably prefer to make sure your job description is posted on standard job boards, don’t make the mistake of limiting your audience by ignoring other valuable platforms. These include social networks, company websites and referral emails. You can even use verbal communication channels to make sure the right people know about the job. If you’re looking for ways to save money, you’ll love using MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free to hundreds of boards simultaneously.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter