The work of statisticians involves managing large quantities of data. They may design surveys and polls to gather information about a particular topic. These professionals are concerned with randomly sampling their target audience to get realistic sample representations of entire populations. They interpret data and may create visual aids to effectively present their findings to others. Statisticians are employed in sectors such as government, healthcare, marketing, sports and psychology.
As can be expected from someone who works with data, analytical skills are key for success as a statistician. Therefore, while writing your statistician job description, emphasize your need for a strategic thinker who aims to generate change by helping others make data-driven decisions.
Another important aspect of the job is problem-solving, as investigations are sometimes needed when data quality issues are suspected. Take a close look at the example of how to organize and format your statistician job description.
Statistician Job Summary
Are you eager to bring methods to the madness that is big data? We have an immediate need to hire a keen statistician to organize information from several disparate systems. We’re looking for someone who can evaluate our current processing methods and tidy up any areas in need of improvement. You should bring your stellar analytical and presentation skills to the role, and we’ll reward you with satisfying opportunities to assist department heads in making key decisions. We want to support your growth and plan to do so via continuing education and mentorship from our VP of Research. Our firm has offices in several domestic and overseas locations, and we’ll be introducing you to people right away to help you build relationships company-wide.
- Define and document all active and inactive channels for data collection, investigating the possibilities of linking fields, merging tables and archiving legacy information in compressed formats
- Develop analysis schemas that include textual and visual components to model what to expect from a particular plan of action
- Write new and edit existing scripts to programmatically mine information from relational, NoSQL and “flat” file databases
- Work with the IT department on identifying security vulnerabilities to prevent private customer data from being accessed by unauthorized parties
- Sort through results carefully, making corrections where needed and drawing hypothetical conclusions until all the hard facts can be weighed
- Summarize key findings in regularly released reports and use software tools to create easily understandable chart, graph and map accompaniments
- Meet with managers from different departments to discuss their statistical analysis needs and how the research group may be able to provide them on-demand or regular support
- Present figures in quarterly meetings and contribute key figures to the marketing department in preparation for the company’s annual report
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in mathematics or related field, or equivalent experience
- One year of experience in statistical analysis in a business setting
- Master’s degree in statistics
- Experience using SAS, SPSS or Orange for data mining and visualization
It’s wise to invest well in your statistician job description, but it’s just one piece of the overall puzzle of attracting qualified candidates to apply for an opening. Did you know that 22 percent of new hires are persons who aren’t actively searching for work? How can you make sure you don’t neglect this key part of the talent pool?
Of course, you’ll want to draw attention to your post in as many places as possible, such as your organization’s public website and social media accounts. Another tool you can make use of is MightyRecruiter, which allows you to post to free job boards, expanding your audience and upping your chances of finding a great hire.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter