Steel workers work on large construction projects installing and reinforcing steel components that typically form the frameworks of tall buildings and bridges. This job can also involve demolishing, replacing or fixing steel components in older structures.
Steel workers carry heavy loads, operate equipment and climb up and down tall structures in the course of their day. Being specific about the required strength and endurance in your steel worker job description will get you more applications from qualified candidates. A qualified steel worker should be proficient in reading blueprints and working with specialized tools.
As you write your steel worker job description, do not forget to include the general qualifications that mark an outstanding candidate. Steel workers perform their job functions as a team, so the ability to communicate, understand instructions and get along with others is essential. Read the following example for more pointers on creating an effective description.
Steel Worker Job Summary
If you prefer working outdoors over being cooped up in an office or behind a counter, you may be the right person for our steel worker position. Our team of competent, hard-working construction professionals is looking to welcome a new member. We value a can-do attitude and offer on-the-job training as well as opportunities for promotion. When you become part of our exciting new projects destined to become the landmarks of tomorrow, you can take pride in knowing you have made a substantial contribution. With us, you can use your existing skills and knowledge while continuing to grow professionally and expand your qualifications. A friendly, safety-conscious work environment and our competitive pay rates make this job a great way to advance your career.
- Measure, fabricate, cut, weld and shape steel parts such as girders, columns and frames using equipment including shears, welding tools and torches
- Hoist steel parts to their appropriate location, ensuring proper alignment and positioning and bolting them into place
- Assemble and use equipment, including setting up cable and chain systems, for hoisting or moving steel parts and disassemble it after completion of the task
- Follow blueprint and instructions from supervisors to perform all tasks involved in assembly of steel structures; communicate with supervisors and coworkers to ensure smooth teamwork
- Notify supervisors immediately of safety or structural concerns
- Take apart structures or equipment in accordance with directions and standard operating procedure; repair steel components in older structures
- Direct crane operators as they move and position steel components
- Drill holes and align parts with framework in preparation for riveting; use tools including levels, laser tools and plumb bobs to ensure precise alignment
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Completed steel worker apprenticeship
- Proficient in use of tools, including welding equipment, laser levels, jacks and metal shears
- Able to read and understand blueprints
- Knowledge of applicable safety regulations
- Able to work at extremely great heights, including top levels of skyscraper
- Excellent work ethic
- Basic proficiency in use of office software
- High school diploma or equivalent
Hopefully, our steel worker job description template has helped you perfect your own posting. Now you need to take the next step and make sure the people you are looking for can actually find you. There are many ways to reach out to qualified applicants, and some of the most effective include posting and tagging on social media, having a clearly visible Careers section on your company website and placing listings in trade-specific news bulletins or magazines.
With all these venues for job postings, job boards remain a top resource for both employers and job seekers. If posting on the many available online boards can seem overwhelming and confusing, MightyRecruiter is here to help you connect with the right applicants by providing free job postings on hundreds of boards.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter