Stock clerks are responsible for tracking inventory levels and verifying product information. They may physically sort and transfer goods and are responsible for recording all shipping, receiving, and inventory information.
These positions usually include on-the-job training, so your stock clerk job description should indicate quick learning ability and willingness to complete required training. Basic computer skills are also important for most stock clerks. A good grasp of math fundamentals helps with calculating shipping costs and recording inventory data.
Other essential requirements for a stock clerk include strong communication skills and attention to detail. Some stock clerks may have to interact with customers, so professionalism and a friendly personality are important as well. Use the stock clerk job description template included here to see what kind of information to include in your job posting.
Stock Clerk Job Summary
Are you looking for a hands-on position that offers varied tasks and unique problem-solving opportunities on a daily basis? Put your organizational skills to work as a stock clerk and ensure supplies are sorted, transferred and inventoried according to company standards. You will have the chance to learn about shipping and receiving procedures and computerized inventory control methods, and you will interact with multiple different departments within the company. Learn all the details through on-the-job training with supervisors who care about your success, and enhance your resume by accessing numerous career development opportunities. We value every member of our team and are ready to reward hard work and dedication with competitive pay, benefits, and advancement opportunities.
- Receive daily shipments and unpack, sort and store items in correct stockroom and warehouse locations that allow for easy access according to documented standards
- Inspect all items for defects, ensure item counts match shipping manifests, mark items using tags and labels and record item details in manual and/or digital inventory lists daily
- Calculate, verify and correct inventory computations as needed including physically counting items, comparing actual counts to listed inventory figures, investigating any discrepancies and updating inventory records with accurate information
- Maintain detailed inventory records of stocked items, incoming and outgoing shipments, and minimum and maximum inventory levels to facilitate accurate handling procedures
- Prepare shipments and manifests daily for internal transportation of stock to other warehouse and stockroom locations, as well as external distribution of items to customers, vendors and other company properties
- Assist stock supervisor as needed with various tasks including cleaning the warehouse and stockroom facilities, finding and disposing of excess or obsolete stock, training new stock clerk personnel and ensuring stock areas meet documented safety standards
- Perform daily maintenance of supplies, equipment, tools and storage areas according to standard procedures
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED
- Ability to complete on-the-job training
- Strong communication skills and attention to detail
- Physically able to complete required tasks such as walking, lifting, bending and working in a loud environment
- Previous experience in similar position
A well-written and thorough job description is essential for attracting enthusiastic and qualified candidates. Once you’ve created a stock clerk job description that includes the correct requirements and details the responsibilities of the position, it’s time to post it where potential candidates can see it. There are countless job posting opportunities including free boards, paid boards and your company’s public website.
The best way to ensure you reach a large pool of qualified candidates is to post your job description in multiple places. This includes online job boards, professional social media networks and the company website. You may even send the listing to your current employees and request referrals of potential candidates. Posting to all these places can be time consuming, so increase efficiency by using MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free to hundreds of boards at once.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter