A structural engineer helps design large building projects, such as bridges, dams and commercial areas, and focuses on the internal infrastructure to ensure adequate support for long-term durability. Structural engineers usually work closely with civil engineers, architects, drafters and construction managers.
A comprehensive structural engineer job description should include the proper educational credentials, such as a four-year degree and possibly a Professional Engineer license. Ideal candidates should have some practical work experience, and most senior engineering positions require a master’s degree.
Engineers must have an excellent understanding of math and physics along with good problem-solving and decision-making skills. Communication is also important since engineers usually work in teams and may give presentations to clients and managers. You can learn what else to include in your structural engineer job description by looking at the example below.
Structural Engineer Job Summary
Are you a structural engineer with diverse work experience and a passion for designing projects that will last far into the future? If so, we want you to join our team and use your expertise to help us deliver exceptional designs to our diverse range of commercial and government clients. You will have a chance to participate in every step of the process, from initial design to final unveiling, and you will be working with a team of experts dedicated to finding the most innovative solutions to challenging project requirements. We value our employees and believe a positive work environment encourages the best results, so we offer generous pay and benefits along with numerous career development and advancement opportunities.
- Design structural components for large-scale projects, including analyzing survey reports, topographical maps, zoning restrictions and client requirements to ensure specifications meet project goals
- Review blueprints, plans and change orders to verify structural integrity of materials and designs, and perform complex calculations and use modeling methods to ensure correct results
- Participate in initial planning and bidding processes, including reviewing environmental factors, government regulations, constructions costs and risk analysis reports to prepare comprehensive study on all relevant design factors
- Research existing and new material technology to determine practical applications, strength and durability expectations and cost-benefits information, and prepare material recommendations for current and future projects
- Create and present structural overviews for upcoming projects, and develop reports that include technical details for engineers as well as big-picture analysis and cost estimates for project managers and senior executives
- Use AutoCAD and other drafting software programs to create 2D design documents and 3D models for individual components and overall structural plans according to client needs and project requirements for deliverables
- Prepare documentation for private and government clients covering project plans and progress, change orders, environmental impact findings, ownership transfers and other relevant information
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in civil or structural engineering, plus minimum of five years of relevant work experience
- Proficient with AutoCAD
- Decisive with excellent critical thinking skills
- Good written and verbal communication abilities, including preparing and giving presentations
- Professional Engineer license
- Master’s degree in engineering
A successful hiring campaign needs more than just an attractive and comprehensive structural engineer job description. It also requires the right posting strategy. You need to place your ad where qualified and motivated jobseekers are likely to see it and respond within a reasonable time frame. Most recruiters find that posting a job listing in multiple online places yields many high-quality responses.
There are several options for you to post your job listing, including online job sites, professional social networks and your company’s official website. You can post on free and paid job boards to reach the largest number of candidates. If you are worried posting to numerous boards and sites will take a lot of time, you can use MightyRecruiter to post to free job boards for you.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter