A substance abuse counselor helps people who have addictions, such as alcoholism and drug addiction. They offer support and provide advice, tools and techniques to help clients overcome their addictive behaviors. Counselors may provide services to the families of patients, too.
As you craft your substance abuse counselor job description, you will want to make sure that you have noted the importance of being a caring and compassionate person. A counselor must be committed to helping others. In addition, counselors should have good listening and communication skills.
For success in this position, a person needs to have a good understanding of addiction. You can use the following substance abuse counselor job description template to help you create a strong, professional one of your own.
Substance Abuse Counselor Job Summary
Are you a compassionate person who has a passion for helping others? As a substance abuse counselor in our treatment and counseling center, you will be providing assistance to individuals with varying levels of substance addictions. You will also work with individuals who are addicted to a wide variety of substances. Your job would be to provide high-quality care and counseling to help patients change their addictive behaviors and become clean. We provide you with your own private office area to see patients and a support staff to assist you with anything you need, from scheduling to telephone answering services. Our company is committed to your success, so we also provide you with an amazing benefits package with a week of paid vacation as soon as you are hired.
- Counsel patients in individual or group sessions by listening to their stories, concerns or issues and providing feedback, including teaching them coping techniques and offering advice on their current situations
- Educate patients on treatment options, methods and techniques to ensure the patient understands the process when they are completing the intake procedures
- Maintain records for health insurance and patient tracking, along with personal files for your use as you work with the patient and create the treatment plan
- Work with other professional staff to collaborate on treatment methods and plans for patients and to assess suitability for counseling services or referrals to other treatment centers
- Conduct research as needed to develop new treatment methods and to stay up-to-date on changes within the field
- Agree to and comply with all company policies and procedures as outlined in the employee handbook, including how to handle patient grievances, proper intake procedures, staff meeting requirements and general code of conduct
- Assist with general monitoring of in-house patients as needed based upon availability and staffing needs
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in counseling or a related field
- State licensing or certification
- Experience in individual and group counseling
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Master’s degree in counseling, psychology or a related field
- Understanding of DSM-V diagnoses
Creating a polished and strong substance abuse counselor job description is just the beginning of your efforts to fill the open position. You now have to post it online to make sure the right candidate sees it. You should start by putting it on your website and social media pages.
Then, you will want to be sure to post it to job boards because these will reach a bigger crowd than your own sites will. This can be time-consuming and slow going, so you should consider using MightyRecruiter to assist you. This will allow you to post jobs for free across hundreds of job boards all at one time.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter