Superintendents are in charge of planning and coordinating the activities of the schools within their jurisdiction. They work with teachers, principals and other educational staff as well as local school committees to ensure that all of the children in the school district are provided with a safe and productive learning environment.
Leadership skills are crucial for superintendents, because they need to motivate both students and teachers to reach their goals. Your superintendent job description should also stress the need for applicants to be solid decision-makers. These professionals always have to make choices and determine what is going to be best for teachers and students.
Interpersonal skills are also key, as superintendents need to build functional partnerships with other superintendents, teachers, school administrators and students’ parents. See how to include all this information and much more by perusing the superintendent job description template offered below.
Superintendent Job Summary
Do you have a passion for molding children to be hardworking members of society in the future? We here at the local county school district are looking for a motivated, collaborative individual to be our new superintendent. We have one of the most successful districts in the state, and we take a progressive view regarding what is best for a child’s education. As the superintendent, you would be responsible for making decisions related to hiring new school administrators and deciding what curriculum to pursue. Anyone with the proper credentials and a proven track record of leadership success should apply to take a critical role in advancing education.
- Develop each school’s budget for the upcoming year and allocate resources depending on each school’s needs
- Establish a positive atmosphere at every school in the district by responding to parents’ inquiries and attending school functions at least once a quarter to establish your position on significant issues
- Work with other school administrators to develop a five-year plan for each school and create a way to successfully implement the plan
- Evaluate the effectiveness of certain curricula and routinely examine teachers’ methods to make sure every classroom is abiding by local, state and national guidelines
- Prepare grant proposals, taking into account the success rate of the school district in the past
- Advocate for the construction of new schools in the county and oversee the development progress of these projects
- Coordinate extracurricular activities taking place at each of the schools to ensure they are all safe and abide by the school district’s philosophy
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Master’s degree in education management
- Minimum of five years of experience working in a school administrative setting
- Proven record of improving academic success
- Experience with all grade levels between kindergarten and 12th grade
- Willingness to work within small, rural communities
It can take a while to perfect the art of crafting effective job descriptions. However, creating your posting is only the first step of the process. You want the best responding to your superintendent job description, so make sure you post it in places where the best candidates are likely to search.
When it comes to school positions, you can establish a referral program among school administrators and teachers, so you have people coming in with glowing recommendations. However, you also want to inform the community by posting the description on the school’s website and social media accounts. Finally, job boards are a fantastic resource. To cut back on costs and save time, you can use MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free simultaneously to hundreds of online boards.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter