A supplier quality engineer is akin to an industrial engineer. This person ensures all suppliers and the materials they provide are in compliance with engineering and manufacturing specifications and company and government standards. They secure and work directly with suppliers and audit supplies regularly for quality control.
A bachelor’s degree in industrial engineering is common for this field. Qualified candidates may also hold degrees in other engineering specialties or logistics. It is up to you whether you require prior job experience in this field. If you do, make certain to specify the minimum years on your supplier quality engineer job description.
The perfect candidate will possess excellent communication skills, as he or she must liaise between in-house engineers, manufacturing personnel and external suppliers. He or she must problem-solve and be meticulous with supply quality control measures. Please review the supplier quality engineer job description template below for additional insight.
Supplier Quality Engineer Job Summary
Do you have an eye for quality? Do you love to negotiate to get the best prices? If so, we are looking for a meticulous supplier quality engineer to secure the best parts for our assembly line so we can build our products to top standards. You will be pivotal in our manufacturing process as you review engineering and manufacturing specifications and find the best vendors in the industry for the parts we need. You’ll flex your extensive knowledge and interpersonal skills to work out cost-effective contracts and monitor materials constantly for any lapse in quality. You will be our barrier against subpar materials. If we build it, our customers will come, but we can only do it well with your help.
- Review engineering and manufacturing specifications to identify materials needed for product assembly for all manufactured goods
- Research and find the best vendors to supply materials needed for manufacturing process
- Contact vendors and liaise between product engineers, manufacturing personnel and suppliers to negotiate contracts to secure required materials for the production floor
- Conduct supplier quality control audits on a regular basis to ensure vendors and their supplies remain in compliance with company and federal manufacturing and production standards
- Communicate with vendors regularly to address any concerns and foster an environment that facilitates continual improvement in working relationships
- Understand and interpret all manufacturing audits, including ISO 9001 and other industry standards
- Maintain a supplier database and include performance evaluations and quality control audits in the database for in-house access by company and manufacturing management personnel
- Assist with logistics, including communications with vendors when there are packaging and receiving issues when materials arrive at receiving dock
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering science or logistics
- Proven experience securing successful vendor contracts
- Excellent in-house and external communication and liaison skills
- Advanced knowledge of manufacturing and production process
- Advanced knowledge of government compliance and quality control regulatory standards
- Prior supplier quality management experience
Writing your supplier quality engineer job description is the first step in filling your pool with qualified employment seekers. Market your job posting as you do your business to attract the best candidates. Start by posting your job opening on your website and social media platforms, including video-sharing applications. If you film short snippets of your production line in action, you’ll attract candidates who share your passion in what you do.
Spend some time in engineering, industrial and manufacturing forums as well. This puts your hand on the pulse of the industry, and you might find your ideal candidate chiming in on the discussions. Finally, save time and reach hundreds of people at once when you post to free job boards through the powerful MightyRecruiter interface.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter