A surgeon conducts operations on patients. Most surgeons specialize in a specific type of surgery, such as heart, bone or brain, but some are general surgeons. Surgeons work with other physicians to coordinate patient care and create treatment plans. They also meet with patients for pre-surgery consultations and for follow-up appointments.
In your surgeon job description, you will want to highlight the education and licensing requirements. Note that surgeons should have excellent manual dexterity, an attention to detail and the ability to work for long periods without rest.
It is important to make it clear that surgeons will also hold office hours along with conducting operations, so the right candidate should have excellent communication and people skills. As you begin to create your surgeon job description, take a look at the following example for guidance.
Surgeon Job Summary
We are a physician-led, multi-facility health organization looking for a skilled general surgeon. If you have a proven track record and solid educational and training background, you may be the perfect fit for this position. We offer state-of-the-art facilities and equipment, along with a highly-trained support staff to enable you to offer patients the best possible care. The position may require long work hours, including emergency on-call requirements. In return for your commitment, we offer you competitive wages and a comprehensive benefits package. This includes covering your costs for insurance and continuing education or other necessary training. This position also comes with the benefit of an established patient base and guaranteed referrals.
- Assess patients through testing and physical exams for their readiness for surgery, and analyze patients’ history and current medical status to determine the right treatment needs and to plan the surgical procedure
- Explain procedures to patients, including recovery and any follow-up care that will be needed
- Follow all universal precautions to ensure the safety of patients, other staff and yourself during any contact with patients and while in the operating room
- Lead surgical team during operations following standard operating procedures
- Conduct safety reviews before, during and after the procedure to ensure nothing has been overlooked and that patient safety is maintained at all times
- Commit to providing excellent care by adhering to all hospital policies, guidelines and requirements in regard to patient care
- Maintain an upstanding reputation in the community, including participation in any hospital fundraising or community events whenever possible to help build the facility’s reputation in the local area
- Participate in teaching and mentorship if asked by administration
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Must hold a Doctor of Medicine
- Board certification in general surgery
- Previous experience in patient care and surgery
- Residency in general surgery
- Medical license in the state
- Must be able to pass all background checks
- Experience in private practice
- Vascular surgery skills
Writing an engaging and compelling surgeon job description is a great first step to filling an open position. Your next step is ensuring that the right candidate sees your description. This requires making sure you get it posted in various places on the internet. Start with your own website and social media pages, then you can expand to other sites.
Job boards are an excellent place to post because they are set up for the specific reason of attracting job seekers. It is a daunting task, though, to try to post on each one individually. You can use MightyRecruiter to give you a hand and post jobs for free across hundreds of boards at one time.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter