Surveyors are responsible for making precise measurements of topographical features and areas to determine property boundaries and assist in mapping projects. They also create reports, plots, maps and other land records as needed to support construction projects, government records and legal issues related to property boundaries.
When you are writing your surveyor job description, make sure to include the appropriate educational requirements, such as a degree in surveying, mapping or civil engineering. Each state has specific licensing requirements for surveyors that usually include a specific amount of practical work experience and the passing of written examinations.
A professional surveyor must possess a strong understanding of math and know how to use specialized tools. Most projects require a good deal of physical exertion as well as excellent visualization skills. Use the professional surveyor job description template below to find additional requirements to include in your job listing.
Surveyor Job Summary
Do you want a career beyond the traditional office that allows you to work outdoors, address interesting challenges and find creative solutions to meet project requirements? We are looking for an experienced surveyor to join our team and provide highly detailed maps and reports to both government agencies and commercial clients. You will have the chance to utilize state-of-the-art field equipment and CAD software and work with a dedicated and diverse team of civil engineers, drafters and construction personnel. We encourage our employees to cultivate a high level of collaboration through a laid-back work environment and flexible hours, and we offer our team members competitive pay and opportunities for continuing education and career advancement.
- Measure and record precise distances and angles on, above or below the land surface, including boundary points, topographical features and other designated markers
- Use a variety of modern surveying equipment, manual recording, computer-aided drafting programs and databases to collect and record data of geological areas according to project requirements
- Research historical maps, land records, previous survey results and land title information as needed to compare and verify current measurements and resolve questions of boundary lines
- Create reports and maps according to customer or project requirements containing information from field measurements, boundary markers and topographical features
- Prepare two-dimensional maps and three-dimensional computer renderings of property features, such as boundary lines, geological points of interest, existing structures, water features and utility lines
- Follow accepted legal procedures to establish official land and water boundaries for government agencies, real estate developers and private parties to be used during property sales, leases and disputes
- Communicate with architects, engineers and construction personnel as needed during land development projects to verify geological and property boundary data and contribute to building design as needed
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in surveying or civil engineering
- Professional Land Surveying license
- Excellent problem-solving skills and understanding of mapping concepts
- Self-motivated with good time management and ability to work outdoors and walk as needed
- Experience with computer drafting programs
- Proficient with AutoCAD Civil 3D and Trimble GPS
Once you’ve written a comprehensive surveyor job description with a strong summary to attract qualified candidates, you need to post it in the right places to reach your target audience. There are numerous posting options for job listings, including paid and free online job sites and social networks designed for professionals.
In most cases, posting your job description in multiple places is the best plan, as it can increase visibility for your company and bring in high-quality jobseekers. You may also want to start a referral program to encourage current employees to recommend possible candidates. Working through all the steps to post your listing in numerous places can take a lot of time and effort. You can increase the efficiency of your hiring process by using MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free to hundreds of online boards.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter