System administrators are essential professionals in nearly every modern corporation. They design, create and maintain the computer systems and local networks that are needed to keep the communication and transfer of information flowing in a business. In addition to the maintenance of such systems, they also gather information and data from these systems in order to make them more efficient.
As you would expect, the most important qualification to include on your system administrator job description is computer science knowledge. It is vital that all candidates have a firm understanding of both the hardware and software involved with a complicated corporate computer system.
Some secondary skills that are frequently necessary for these professionals include analytical and evaluation skills, critical thinking and communication abilities. Learn the best way to incorporate these requirements into your own job description by reviewing the following system administrator job description template.
System Administrator Job Summary
Are you looking for the opportunity to put your extensive computer science knowledge and skills to good use? We are seeking your abilities. A talented system administrator with critical thinking and analytical abilities would fit right in with our dynamic and dedicated information technology team. You will implement your understanding of computer systems and networks to keep our information and communication systems operating the way they were designed to and coordinate with other computer engineers to maximize their efficiency. Enter into a fulfilling career making a real difference in how our business operates where you can stretch your computer science muscles.
- Oversee the daily operations of our established computer systems and networks, identifying any areas of underperformance or issues that arise, making note of them and quickly implementing solutions
- Perform maintenance on the system to make improvements and prevent overheating or other issues from arising, making predictions of problems in advance
- Monitor system performance, creating reports that outline inefficiencies or areas in need of improvement, making recommendations for how these areas can be resolved
- Complete data backups on a regular basis in preparation for any errors that may otherwise cause data loss
- Plan network security updates, ensuring all computer systems are protected against data theft or loss at all times and no risk is unattended
- Perform research of new technology solutions and strategies, outlining the vital information to supervisors and making a case for the benefits
- Relay information between system administrators and supervisors in order to better collaborate with other computer engineers
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Minimum three years of working experience in computer maintenance or operation
- Associate degree in computer engineering or related field
- Bachelor degree in computer science related field
- Experience with switching, routing and firewall configuration
Once you have written your resume and polished it as much as possible to make it stronger, move on to the next step in the hiring process. Just as it is vital that you write your system administrator job description in the right way, it is essential that you advertise the job opening correctly as well. Social media and your company website are excellent tools for getting work of the opening out, but an even better solution is to post your job description on online job boards.
By using the free tools that MightRecruiter offers, it is possible to utilize online job boards more powerfully than ever. We allow your job description to be posted on hundreds of boards all at once, minimizing the work involved while increasing your chances of finding the best candidates. Post jobs for free by turning to MightyRecruiter.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter