A good job description answers questions and keeps you from drawing in too many unqualified candidates. Likewise, it prevents you from attracting people who would not enjoy working for your organization. Spend the time to develop a purposeful and concise presentation. We’ve created the system security manager job description sample below to help you find the right talent.
System Security Manager Job Summary
The system security manager oversees and executes an enterprise security monitoring program. He or she will design, implement and enforce controls while managing a team of up to ten employees. Key responsibilities include monitoring cyber threat security, developing applications, analyzing information and communicating complex data. The manager will also develop team appraisals, internal reports and security control assessments using a variety of platforms.
System Security Manager Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee enterprise security system; detect, respond and resolve incidents.
- Protect company assets with new security strategies, monitoring controls and ongoing evaluation.
- Implement new strategies, monitor activity and target potential cyber threats.
- Supervise security operations department; recruit, hire, train and schedule up to ten IT employees.
- Collaborate with programmers and account managers to determine the potential impact attacks have on external clients.
- Conduct complex research to determine the origin, method and purpose of cyber threats.
- Perform vulnerability scans, detect malicious mobile code and identify unauthorized access.
- Manage team productivity and produce semi-annually performance appraisals.
- Forecast requirements based on variances, financial objectives and budget.
- Develop and initiate corrective action, system safeguards and recovery plans.
- Serve as IT consult for all internal and external parties.
- Advise COO and CEO on critical security measures and ways to lower risk.
- Stay current with technology through continued education, professional association, networking and coordinating regular software and hardware evaluations.
- Document all activity with regular condition reports.
System Security Manager Job Requirements
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field.
- Five years with enterprise security systems. Leadership and corporate experience is preferred.
- Must have experience with incident response plans, vulnerability scans and penetration tools.
- Advanced knowledge of Security Information and Event Management (SIEM)
- Proficient with Office Suite.
- May require regional travel up to 20%.
- GIAC-GCIH, GIAC-GCED and CEH certifications or the ability to obtain within one year.
- Must have SSCP or similar.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to mentor teams and individuals.
Seltra Financial Solutions continually ranks as one of the best companies to work for in Pennsylvania. We’re a leading financial services provider offering a range of products, including investment solutions, mortgage assistance and insurance brokering. We hire professional and experienced professionals to serve our nationwide client base, and we’re dedicated to superior customer service and customized solutions.
Best Practices When Writing a Job Description
- Your role may differ from the system security manager job description sample above, so reference the following practices as you write your draft. Keep in mind that highly-skilled candidates give only a few minutes to each job ad, so make sure your information is direct and on point.
- Do use action-based language. Your main goal is to give candidates a clear sense of what to expect on a day-to-day basis.
- Do use technical language. Whether or not your company is IT-focused, this is an IT-focused position, and your description should include specific wording. Discuss current platforms and security-related certifications. This is how you gain credibility and attract the best talent.
- Don’t neglect the management aspect. Any senior-level job description should describe what makes it an experienced role. How big is the department? How many employees will the person manage? Who oversees scheduling and annual performance reporting. Experienced job seekers are looking for the next step.
- Do be clear about submission guidelines and contact information. Don’t try to test how well a candidate can follow directions. This just wastes time. If you want an emailed resume, then say so. If you have an online application process, include a direct link at the end of your ad.
- Don’t use paragraphs for duties and qualifications. Most jobseekers start by determining whether or not they meet qualifications. If they do, they’ll likely move onto the job duties to see if the role is one they’d like to pursue. Bullets make these key sections easy to locate and quick to read.
- Do be candid. When you’re trying to fill a governing role, you need to be open about expectations.
System Security Manager Job Responsibilities
Applicants spend less than a minute looking at a job description before deciding to either apply or move on to the next job. These could be high-quality applicants you could be missing out on if you have a system security manager job description that is not well-written. Since this is the meatiest part of the job description, it is important to keep and maintain the reader’s attention and pique the reader’s interest to motivate him or her to apply.
You want a structured, organized list of system security manager job responsibilities so that applicants know what a hiring manager will expect of them and can figure out for themselves if they are a good fit for the position or not. You ought to design a bulleted list so that it is easy to read quickly since applicants do not take much time on each job posting. This list should detail between six and eight responsibilities that jobseekers will perform upon receiving the position.
These are some examples of responsibilities that could be in a system security manager job description:
- Recruit, train and oversee new applicants in the system security analyst department
- Work with teams to devise security systems for the company
- Reward and discipline subordinates constructively based on performance and behavior
- Devise annual budget for respective department and monitor expenditure to stay within budget
- Create mock security threats to challenge teams to design ways to prevent real threats
System Security Manager Job Specifications
You need to finesse the qualifications and skills section so that just the candidates who are perfectly qualified apply for the position. It is imperative for this section to be well-written so that unqualified applicants do not waste their time applying for a job they would not receive and so that you do not waste your time receiving applications from overqualified candidates who would likely leave the position when something more at their level comes along.
Being a system security manager requires not only technical knowledge of computer systems but also interpersonal skills of interacting with others. You then will want to emphasize in the qualifications and skills section of the system security manager job description that jobseekers need to be able to lead teams, communicate with subordinates and superiors and have thorough knowledge of cybersecurity. Be sure to consult with hiring managers so that you can create the most thorough qualifications and skills section for your system security manager job description.
Below are some examples of what you could put in your list for system security manager job specifications:
- At least seven years’ experience in security analysis or related field
- Bachelor’s degree in computer engineering, programming or science
- Capable of taking charge of situations quickly and efficiently to come up with solutions to problems
- Strong interpersonal skills of being able to handle teams of at least 10 system security analysts