As an employer, it is your responsibility to build a team of workers that is capable of fulfilling your professional vision. In order to do this, you will first need to find the best candidates with the most experience and ambition. A well-written job description can help you do this, but there are many steps to writing a unique and compelling description. If you are ready to write an effective description, take a look at the Systems Programmer job description sample below.
Systems Programmer Job Summary
The systems programmer will be responsible for installing and modifying the company’s existing system software. He or she will prepare to install the software by studying its technical capabilities and operations. The ideal programmer will be able to handle the vast majority of task scheduling, file system, memory management, and input/output requirements of our system. The systems programmer should also feel comfortable utilizing the most up-to-date systems and software on the market.
Systems Programmer Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Installs system programs by loading software into the computer
- Uncovers work stoppage and errors by performing routine tests and monitoring output
- Repairs errors and work stoppages by entering changes to code
- Increases system efficiency by analyzing key performance indicators and altering software
- Keeps highly-sensitive client data confidential
- Maintains thorough records by documenting system revisions and changes
- Prepares user manuals by writing operating instructions
- Maintains strict control of system and monitors program usage
- Ensures that equipment is used according to manufacturer’s instructions
- Troubleshoots malfunctions and contacts appropriate vendors for repairs
- Evaluates new techniques and equipment
- Frequently updates knowledge base by establishing personal networks and participating in professional organizations
- Contributes to team efforts as needed
Systems Programmer Skills and Qualifications
- Previous system administration experience
- Ability to work independently
- In-depth understanding of C and COBOL
- Broad knowledge of major operating systems
- Software documentation and debugging experience
- Ability to focus on producing high-quality work
- Able to perform maintenance on a variety of systems
- Skilled in software performance tuning and testing
New Edge Software had been providing the country with top-of-the-line systems maintenance and programming for nearly 15 years. We aim to provide your company with the system administration that it needs to excel and develop. Our programmers and systems professionals possess years of experience, and we would be proud to provide you with the technological guidance you need to update and organize your company’s systems. Our company distinguishes itself from the crowd by offering a customer-centered approach to technological innovation.
Writing a Job Description Best Practices
- The Systems Programmer job description sample above can serve as a wonderful resource during the writing process, but you may still need clarification about certain things. If you need additional guidance, try employing the following list of description writing do’s and don’ts.
- Do include a detailed list of responsibilities. This will help the applicant understand what type of tasks and duties he or she will be expected to perform if hired. Use action-oriented verbs when writing this section, and remember to include an honest estimation of the amount of time the worker will spend performing each task.
- Do include a call-to-action (CTA). An effective CTA will encourage the reader of your description to apply for the job. Your CTA should use inviting language that shows you are ready to start the hiring process. Remember to thank the applicant for taking the time to view your job posting.
- Do remain focused. It is easy to become sidetracked during the description writing process, but you should avoid including irrelevant details at all costs. These unimportant details can distract applicants from more important information regarding the functions of the job. Only include information that is essential to understanding the position.
- Do include contact information. This information will come in handy if an applicant needs to contact you with a question or concern. It will also show the reader that you are willing to interact with your applicants.
- Don’t include salary information if it is against company policy. Many companies and organizations do not allow human resource workers to post salary and benefits information publicly. If you wish to include such information, be sure to read over your corporate policies first.
- Don’t use more than five keywords. If you use an excessive amount of keywords in your description, jobseekers will have a difficult time finding it if they decide to utilize a search engine.
The information above will help you craft a job description that you and your company can be proud of.
Systems Programmer Job Responsibilities
Jobseekers look at the responsibilities listed in a job description to better understand their day-to-day duties. This is why the systems programmer job description is important. Candidates can compare what they’ve done in the past with the duties in your systems programmer job description, so be as specific as possible.
Some best practices you don’t want to overlook include using strong action verbs in this section and laying information out bullet style. Action verbs make it easier for jobseekers to picture performing these activities while bullet points mimic the way they should lay out their resumes. Additionally, systems programmer job activities vary from place to place, meaning you want to point out what makes the position you are offering unique.
Here are some potential systems programmer job responsibilities you might include in your job description:
- Provide technical support in written form and via live calls for clients using our software
- Develop testing procedures and benchmarks for new and existing code
- Maintain high level of quality in all our shipped software packages
- Stay up-to-date on best practices and upcoming language patches
- Collaborate with other programmers to create multi-function systems
- Write and implement detailed product plans for teams of four or more programmers
Systems Programmer Job Specifications
A good way to lay out your systems programmer job specifications is by writing specific qualifications and skill requirements. This is typically the shortest part of your job description, but that doesn’t make it any less important. Think of this as the minimum skills necessary to do the job, such as familiarity with certain software packages or programming languages.
However, don’t be shy about putting some big items here. If it’s too easy for a jobseeker to check everything off in the qualifications section, then applicants who are a poor fit could flood your inbox, wasting your time. For example, if the level of work you expect requires a bachelor’s degree, don’t settle for listing an associate’s degree in your qualifications section. This helps your systems programmer job description work for you by weeding out applicants ahead of time.
Here are some specifications you may want to include in your systems programmer job description. They don’t apply to all programming jobs, so modify them to suit what you need.
- Experience with Boomerang, Harmony and Unison
- Skilled communicator able to coordinate with a team
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or other science with a heavy computing focus
- Motivated worker with long attention span