Tax accountants review and collect financial documents from clients to prepare tax returns. They ensure that all taxes are appropriately filed and paid and that all due dates are met. Tax accountants might work for one particular company or retain many clients made up of individuals and/or businesses.
In your tax accountant job description, it is important to emphasize certain skills, especially knowledge of the state and federal tax codes. Some of the additional responsibilities include retaining records and organizing financial statements, so you want someone with strong organizational and problem-solving skills.
Tax accountants interact with clients and deal with potentially sensitive matters, so it is essential that they are effective communicators with strong interpersonal skills. Review the tax accountant job description below to see some other valuable information to include in your own job posting.
Tax Accountant Job Summary
Do you enjoy making financial calculations and have extensive knowledge of the state and federal tax codes? If so, then you might be the right person to join our team of tax accountants. We pride ourselves on providing accurate and timely tax preparation, even during the peak of the busy tax season. You will have the chance to nourish relationships with clients as you manage their personal and business taxes throughout the year. As part of our team, you have the opportunity to work independently with your individual clients, but you also benefit from having a team to assist you as needed to ensure that all documentation is accurate and turned in on time.
- Obtain financial information from clients through interviews and email correspondence to determine taxable income and appropriate credits and deductions
- Prepare tax returns for clients, including individuals, small businesses, corporations, trusts and non-profit organizations, using law handbooks and bulletins as needed for atypical situations
- Nourish relationships with clients to retain their business from year to year through effective communication and proficient work
- Collaborate with the business development team to bring in new clients and attend networking events, and arrange free consultations with potential clients
- Review tax returns prepared by other team members to ensure accuracy of calculations and the appropriate deductions and credits are taken
- Advise and educate clients about the tax code and the deductions and credits for which they are eligible
- Attend audits and prepare all necessary documentation ahead of time for a positive outcome for the client
- Remain up to date on all changes to the tax code through attending continuing education events and consulting bulletins and other information released by the IRS
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- 3+ years experience as a tax accountant
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Extensive knowledge of the state and federal tax code
- Certified Public Accountant
- Experience in tax preparation for non-profit entities and trusts
With a detailed tax accountant job description, you have a foundation on which to find the best, most qualified candidates for the job. However, you also need to get the posting out to the widest possible pool of potential applicants so that the right people see it.
There are many places where you can post your job description, including on your own website and social media pages. Additionally, it is beneficial to ask current employees to recommend people within their network for the job. However, the best way to get the word out about your available position is to post it on online job boards. Consider taking advantage of free job postings with MightyRecruiter.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter