Tax collectors ensure people and other entities pay taxes they owe to the government. To do this, collectors must get in touch with people who have not paid adequate taxes and figure out how to collect those taxes. This may involve setting up payment plans. If a person states he or she is unable to pay taxes, a collector may conduct research into the truth of those claims.
Bachelor’s degrees in accounting and related fields are often required for a tax collector job description, in addition to work experience. Tax collectors should be organized, analytical thinkers who can work with lots of complicated details but can also work well with people.
That should give you a great overview of what tax collectors do and what qualities to look for in candidates. To learn what you should put in a tax collector job description, check out the example below.
Tax Collector Job Summary
We take our work seriously and our hiring just as seriously. If you’re an experienced tax collection professional with an advanced understanding of tax collection, an accounting-related educational background and a desire to lead and manage, we hope you’ll get in touch with us. Work as our tax collector and help us collect delinquent taxes owed to our government body. You’ll use your advanced tax knowledge as well as methodical procedures when collecting taxes and resolving difficult and complicated tax situations that may or may not include legal action. If you’re the right candidate for us, you’ll see this highly detailed and technical job opportunity as an exciting challenge.
- Lead the collection of overdue taxes for the area to ensure the governmental body receives the correct amounts owed
- Regularly reach out to taxpayers to inform them of their delinquent taxes and follow all applicable laws when collecting taxes
- Communicate with taxpayers or people acting on their behalf to discuss complex issues regarding delinquent taxes
- Work with said taxpayers and representatives to discuss and coordinate payment plans to repay the taxes taxpayers owe to the government
- Possess a great deal of knowledge related to tax collection best practices and be able to clearly and confidently explain tax issues to taxpayers and others
- Keep organized and meticulous files regarding past tax collection efforts and all applicable details
- Manage a team of more junior collection professionals and take responsibility for the quality, completeness and accuracy of their work
- Frequently interface with the public and maintain a professional, reputable demeanor at all times
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting (other similar majors may be considered on a case-by-case basis)
- Experience with and knowledge of local tax laws and requirements
- Great computer skills and experience utilizing accounting software and related programs
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to work with difficult or angry people
- Three years of managerial experience
This tax collector job description should help you draft a job posting that accurately describes your open position and appeals to the right kinds of candidates. Don’t forget that your work isn’t over once you’ve written the job posting. Publicizing you have open positions is just as important; otherwise, how will people know you’re hiring?
Many people choose to post jobs on company websites and online job boards, and social media is becoming an increasingly used method as well. The caveat here is that posting jobs to lots of different places can take time away from all the other work you do. Make this promotion process for your description easier and use MightyRecruiter to help you get listed on hundreds of job boards as you post jobs for free.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter