Team members help customers find desired goods or services. They answer questions, make purchase recommendations and explain the benefits of the goods or services. Once they have helped customers make a satisfactory selection, they add up the total purchases and complete the transactions.
When writing your team member job description, you’ll want to include customer-service skills in the skills section. Team members directly represent the companies they work for and interact with customers constantly. They should be friendly and approachable to make customers feel welcome and comfortable.
Your job description should also note the importance of selling skills as they are expected to be persuasive and helpful. They must effectively explain the uses and benefits of what they’re selling and persuade customers to take part in any discounts, promotions or reward programs. Review the below team member job description template to learn about the key components you should include.
Team Member Job Summary
Do you enjoy helping people find what they need? Our store is full of products that customers find useful, entertaining and relevant, and we need you to make our customers happy with their choices. Working here is all about meeting people’s needs and making them smile. As our team member, you will be the smiling face and helping hand that welcomes and assists our customers throughout their time in our store. Under the guidance and supervision of our shift leads and management team, you will learn the best sales practices. Throughout your time here, you will build strong communication and customer-service skills that will help you wherever you go. If you want to share our company’s welcoming culture with every customer you interact with, this position is perfect for you.
- Greet customers and make them feel welcome by establishing a friendly and supportive environment
- Communicate with customers about their wants and needs, recommend and locate relevant merchandise, and call other stores or place special orders to get desired merchandise
- Explain the function and purposes of merchandise in an informative and persuasive manner to capture curiosity and increase interest in buying, and demonstrate operation or use of items when applicable
- Promote and demonstrate a reliable reputation for our company by answering any questions about our products, practices or history
- Maintain knowledge of promotions, sales and company policies about exchanges, payment and returns, and inform customers when helpful or necessary
- Deliver accurate product pricing, labels and placement, and arrange merchandise displays to promote sales
- Recognize security risks and know company security practices to handle and prevent thefts and other risks
- Maintain a clean, orderly and good-looking store by emptying trash cans, mopping floors and wiping down checkout counter areas
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with customers, co-workers and vendors in written and spoken language
- Proficiency using POS system or cash register
- Conflict resolution skills
- Ability to quickly grasp policies and protocols included in on-the-job training
Want to use this job description?
Team Member Job Responsibilities
You want to pay close attention to the team member job responsibilities section of your team member job description. This section is typically the longest and contains the most information. It communicates what the position entails as far as the duties and tasks and draws attention to the major responsibilities required. This section should convey what it’s like to work a day as a team member.
The level of detail is important in this section because you want applicants to be able to visualize themselves in the position. It can be a waste of your time and theirs for them to apply if the job doesn’t appeal to them. Make sure as you list the team member job responsibilities you bring attention to any opportunities for increased accountability or possibilities for special duties that may entice potential candidates to apply.
The following is an example of what this section of a team member job description may include:
- Greet customers and take orders
- Maintain a quick service speed
- Keep work area clean and free from spills or other trash
- Cook food items according to company procedures
- Follow all safety and health regulations
- Collect money and account for all cash in register at end of shift
Team Member Job Specifications
The job qualifications and skills section of your team member job description explains to applicants the job requirements. It clarifies the education, training, skills or personal traits you expect a candidate to possess. This section is not going to be very long, but you should not ignore its importance. It presents the team member job specifications so the jobseeker knows if he or she qualifies for the position. You want to ensure you include enough information to allow an applicant to make an informed decision.
When writing this section of the team member job description, pay attention to how you present each item. Use a list format and include specific information. For example, don’t say the job requires a degree. Instead, say what specific degree it requires. In addition, always separate required items from preferred items. You do not want to miss out on an exceptional applicant because they didn’t have a skill or qualification that you simply preferred.
Here is a look at an example of this section:
- Ability to stand, squat, reach and bend
- Superior customer service skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Capable of lifting at least 20 pounds
- Familiarity with food service health and safety procedures preferred
- High school diploma or GED preferred