Team members help customers find desired goods or services. They answer questions, make purchase recommendations and explain the benefits of the goods or services. Once they have helped customers make a satisfactory selection, they add up the total purchases and complete the transactions.
When writing your team member job description, you’ll want to include customer-service skills in the skills section. Team members directly represent the companies they work for and interact with customers constantly. They should be friendly and approachable to make customers feel welcome and comfortable.
Your job description should also note the importance of selling skills as they are expected to be persuasive and helpful. They must effectively explain the uses and benefits of what they’re selling and persuade customers to take part in any discounts, promotions or reward programs. Review the below team member job description template to learn about the key components you should include.
Team Member Job Summary
Do you enjoy helping people find what they need? Our store is full of products that customers find useful, entertaining and relevant, and we need you to make our customers happy with their choices. Working here is all about meeting people’s needs and making them smile. As our team member, you will be the smiling face and helping hand that welcomes and assists our customers throughout their time in our store. Under the guidance and supervision of our shift leads and management team, you will learn the best sales practices. Throughout your time here, you will build strong communication and customer-service skills that will help you wherever you go. If you want to share our company’s welcoming culture with every customer you interact with, this position is perfect for you.
- Greet customers and make them feel welcome by establishing a friendly and supportive environment
- Communicate with customers about their wants and needs, recommend and locate relevant merchandise, and call other stores or place special orders to get desired merchandise
- Explain the function and purposes of merchandise in an informative and persuasive manner to capture curiosity and increase interest in buying, and demonstrate operation or use of items when applicable
- Promote and demonstrate a reliable reputation for our company by answering any questions about our products, practices or history
- Maintain knowledge of promotions, sales and company policies about exchanges, payment and returns, and inform customers when helpful or necessary
- Deliver accurate product pricing, labels and placement, and arrange merchandise displays to promote sales
- Recognize security risks and know company security practices to handle and prevent thefts and other risks
- Maintain a clean, orderly and good-looking store by emptying trash cans, mopping floors and wiping down checkout counter areas
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with customers, co-workers and vendors in written and spoken language
- Proficiency using POS system or cash register
- Conflict resolution skills
- Ability to quickly grasp policies and protocols included in on-the-job training
A thoroughly detailed and well-written team member job description is key for attracting qualified and enthusiastic candidates. Once you’ve written a job description that includes needed responsibilities and requirements, you’ll need to post it for potential candidates to see. There are various opportunities to post your job to attract a large pool of candidates.
If you want to reach as many candidates as possible, post your opening in multiple places. You can post on professional social media networks, online job boards and your company’s website. Posting your job description to all these different places can be tedious and time-consuming, so consider using MightyRecruiter to post to free job boards.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter