Technical recruiters hire people to fill information technology positions in a range of industries. They are tasked with recruiting, screening, interviewing and placing potential workers. In addition, they handle human resources duties, such as employee relations, benefits, compensation and training.
When listing skills in a technical recruiter job description, note that the candidate should have a college education, with a bachelor’s degree preferred. Coursework in an information technology or technical field is more important than the candidate’s specific college major.
Technical recruiters should be detail-oriented and have strong interpersonal, listening and speaking skills. They will also need to be good at making decisions, particularly because they are constantly reviewing candidates’ qualifications or working to resolve disputes between employers and job candidates. Review the technical recruiter job description below for a better understanding of what to include in your job listing.
Technical Recruiter Job Summary
Are you interested in a career in recruiting, staffing or human resources? Do you like to work with people? We are currently hiring for a technical recruiter, where you will use your technical knowledge to hire candidates to join our IT, cloud, security, network and data science teams. Use your negotiation skills to help us staff bright and talented people who are looking to make an impact in our fast-paced environment. Grow our company and your career will grow along with it. When you become a valued member of our team, you’ll be rewarded with advancement opportunities, competitive pay rates and benefits.
- Develop recruiting strategies that meet anticipated staffing needs
- Review job orders and employment applications to match applicants with job requirements
- Search for job candidates using various sources such as databases, internet recruiting resources, networking, job fairs, media advertisements, recruiting firms or employee referrals
- Select job applicants, confirm their qualifications and refer them to hiring managers, making recommendations when appropriate
- Interview job applicants as part of the screening process to get information on their work history, job skills, training and education, and inform them of the position’s duties and responsibilities, compensation, benefits and working conditions
- Analyze employment data related to the position and create reports based on your findings
- Advise management on implementing, organizing and preparing recruiting programs while providing them with training on interviewing, counseling techniques, performance appraisals or documentation of performance issues
- Contact applicants to inform them of their application statuses and conduct background or reference checks on job applicants, particularly those who will be given job offers
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree
- Negotiation skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Strong social aptitude and ability to build relationships
- Technical knowledge to be able to talk to job prospects and understand qualifications
- Coursework in business, human resources, psychology, information technology or a technical field
- Previous work experience in sales, research, operations, customer service, information technology, administration or other related jobs
Want to use this job description?
Technical Recruiter Job Responsibilities
The responsibilities section of your technical recruiter job description should be the longest. When writing it, you should focus on both the content and the format. No matter how strong the information in the section is, it does not do any good if the format keeps applicants from reading or understanding it. It is best to write the technical recruiter job responsibilities section as a bulleted list and include between six and eight bullet points. Any more and you run the risk of intimidating readers, while fewer may be too vague. Additionally, using a strong action verb for the first word of every bullet point ensures your technical recruiter job description focuses on the daily tasks the hired candidate would tackle.
Remember that the purpose of this meaty section is to attract candidates and emphasize the benefits of the position. The following example entries will help you accomplish this goal
- Review applications and resumes to determine which candidates would benefit the company the most
- Create written reports that detail candidate advantages and disadvantages, along with recommendations for which to hire
- Interview candidates, gathering information about their abilities, qualifications and skills
- Develop job descriptions and job postings to entice and attract the most talented professionals
Technical Recruiter Job Specifications
At the end of your technical recruiter job description, be sure to include a short job qualifications and skills section that details the requirements you have for the position. It is important for readers to fully understand whether they qualify to apply. Although this section will likely be the shortest in your job description, it is also one of the most important. Format it as two lists of bullet points: one detailing the mandatory qualifications and the other focusing on preferences. This guides candidates without limiting them. Before you begin writing the technical recruiter job specifications, make sure you understand exactly what your company’s goal for new recruits is.
This section directly influences the kinds of candidates your technical recruiter job description attracts. Your goal should be to avoid receiving applications from any unqualified candidates and ensure plenty of talented individuals apply. These examples will help you get started and outline both mandatory and preferred qualifications:
Must hold a bachelor’s degree or higher in business administration or related field Two years in a position of leadership required, experience as a technical recruiter preferred Must be fluent in both English and Spanish Strong critical-thinking, evaluation and analysis abilities, as well as a good attention to small details