When you write a job posting, your aim should always be to engage readers in a manner that causes the best talent to take notice, while prompting the rest to look elsewhere. Toward that end, it behooves you to carefully construct a listing that leads job seekers to ask themselves if they are right for the job and if they would fit into your organization’s culture. In essence, you want potential candidates to prescreen themselves. We have created an echocardiography technologist-technician job description sample for your reference, but first, let’s dig deeper into the approach.
It’s important to commit fully to the idea that you want the best. Everyone says that’s what they want, but the glut of employment announcements that are overly broad and soft in their standards would seem to disagree. As you draw up your job description for an echocardiography tech, imagine the perfect applicant. Think of the most demanding aspects of the job and write the listing with them in mind. You want anyone reading your posting to ask themselves if they can really live up to your needs.
Additionally, offer information about your company that helps potential candidates decide if they would mesh well with your values and work environment. The result is that the wheat will largely separate itself from the chaff, so you can spend your time choosing from the cream of the crop.
Echocardiography Technologist-Technician Job Summary
As a valued member of the Atrium medical team, you will produce detailed images of cardiac muscle and help to gauge heart function in patients. You will set up, monitor and adjust state-of-the-art ultrasound equipment. You will offer positive and professional communication, protection and assistance to Atrium customers while recording cardiac data.
Atrium is committed to a positive work environment and offers the following benefits:
• Highly competitive starting salary
• Group health, dental and vision care
• Retirement plans with complementary financial planning services
• Flexible Spending Account
• Four weeks paid vacation
• Career development programs
• Tuition reimbursement
Echocardiography Technologist-Technician Job Responsibilities
- Prepares for examinations by checking equipment, taking inventory of supplies, replenishing stock as needed, reviewing physician orders and patient schedules, readying recording equipment and inputting patient information.
- Manages patient stress by patiently explaining exam procedures, answering questions and providing ambulatory assistance.
- Positions patients, applies medical gels and electrodes, connects and adjusts equipment and verifies wave signals.
- Produces high-quality imaging by accurately positioning transducer, monitoring display, listening to signals, adjusting beam strength and focus, detecting artifacts that mimic abnormalities, and recording images.
- Records examination details by printing data and graphics, producing measurements of heart wall, chamber size, and blood flow direction and velocity and comparing measurements to established norms.
- Observes all safety policies and protocols for patient protection.
- Maintains patient confidence and protects operations by following established procedures to safeguard confidential information and advising others regarding possible breaches.
- Keeps job-related knowledge up to date by taking advantage of educational opportunities, networking, reading professional publications and participating in professional organizations.
- Accepts ownership for completing dynamic requests and seeks opportunities to add value to professional achievements.
Echocardiography Technologist-Technician Skills and Qualifications
- Certified through the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS)
- Registered Diagnostic Cardiac Sonographer (RDCS) or Registered Vascular Technologist (RVT) certification preferred
- OR Logistics
- Health promotion and maintenance
- Self-starting multitasker who easily adapts to rapid change
- Compassionate, professional communicator with good bedside manner and high degree of emotional control
The Atrium family of health centers is one of the nation’s premier providers of comprehensive medical care. Our focus on preventive medicine and health and wellness programs has garnered hundreds of awards and has led to international recognition for patient outcomes and satisfaction. We believe that the best approach to any ailment is to consider the body as a whole, with every system working in concert. That philosophy serves as the basis for everything we do as medical professionals.
Some Job Description Do’s and Don’ts
- Do use bullet lists to break up your listing for easy reading.
- Do provide details that help readers decide if they are able and willing to do the work.
- Do offer a positive, yet honest overview of the organization to get the right people excited to apply.
- Don’t try to attract more people with vague or evasive descriptions.
- Don’t stuff your posting with keywords. SEO should be natural and relevant.
Technician Echocardiography Technologist Job Responsibilities
One of the most important parts of your technician echocardiography technologist job description is the responsibilities information. This is the section that lets readers know about what the position will be like. For this reason, it is important to format the technician echocardiography technologist job responsibilities section correctly. Otherwise, it may be difficult for candidates to fully understand the content of the section.
To begin, this portion should take the form of a bulleted list. Include more than five bullet points, but no more than eight. This amount is long enough to provide enough information, but not too long to appear intimidating at a glance. The first word of each bullet point should always be a strong action verb. This greatly strengthens the section, helps readers imagine themselves in the job and ensures the focus is effective.
Start your own technician echocardiography technologist job description with these example entries:
- Prepare equipment and machinery for examinations, ensuring they are working correctly and identifying malfunctions
- Interact with patients, answering inquiries and explaining examination details
- Perform maintenance on machinery before and after use to keep it operating as intended
- Manage the inventory, keeping careful records of all items, placing new order as necessary and organizing stock so every item is easily accessible at all times
Technician Echocardiography Technologist Job Specifications
Many incorrectly assume that the job qualifications and skills section is the least important section of the technician echocardiography technologist job description because it is usually one of the shortest. While it is true that it should be brief, it is vastly important because it influences whether or not readers choose to apply. It is responsible for preventing all the unqualified candidates from applying and encouraging the talent you are looking for to submit their applications.
The best way to format the technician echocardiography technologist job specifications is to separate it into preferences and mandatory requirements categories. Not only does this help the section fulfill its purpose, it makes it easier to read. Before you begin writing, make sure you have a firm understanding of your company’s expectations and know which qualities are deal-breakers. Education and previous working experiences are commonly included in the mandatory requirements category.
Follow these example entries to strengthen your technician echocardiography technologist job description as much as possible:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or another related science field required, master’s degree preferred
- Must hold at least four years of working experience in healthcare environment
- Excellent bedside manner and professional communication skills
- Experienced operating standard echocardiography technology