You will be located in a telemarketing call center and conduct sales and marketing over the telephone to meet goals on a monthly basis. The sole purpose of your role as a telemarketer is calling potential customers and informing them of a product, its features and prices and soliciting sales. You may also manage existing clients by equipping them with knowledge on new product services or features over the telephone. As a telemarketer, you will promote a broad range of goods and services either through direct selling or information gathering. You will be provided with a quota to fulfill based on which you will receive rewards. This can be a truly lucrative commissions-based job as more telephone calls mean greater chances of sales and corresponding commissions.
Telemarketer Job Responsibilities and Duties:
• Delivers scripted sales talks to describe services or products to persuade potential customers to make a contribution
• Contacts private individuals and businesses by telephone to solicit sales for services or goods
• Describes services or products along with prices
• Obtains client contact information and enters orders into database
• Adjusts sales scripts to target customer interests and needs better
• Answers telephone calls from potential consumers approached through ads
• Schedules sales appointments for representatives to present opportunities to prospective customers
• Maintains technical expertise by reviewing publications and attending educational seminars
• Conducts market or client surveys to gather data about potential customers
• Responds to consumer questions
• Contributes to teamwork by achieving relevant results
• Other duties as assigned
Telemarketer Skills and Qualifications
- High school diploma
- Understanding of marketing and sales strategies and principles
- Related work experience in promotions, marketing, telemarketing, or sales
- Proficiency in relevant computer applications
- Job-related or vocational training work preferred
- Previous experience, knowledge, or work-related skills preferred
Property and Reno Payments is a unique organization comprised of industry leaders with more than 25 years of combined installment processing experience. With this much expertise, we have a strong understanding of the importance of our telemarketers and how to help ensure their growth in the position. At Property and Reno Payments, we offer telemarketers diverse approaches to continuously supplement their earnings, including the upfront daily commissions. We also provide the chance to up-sell the consumer with a variety of business solutions to expand their industry including loyalty programs, equipment leasing and sales, cash advances, and more.
Writing a Job Description Best Practices
While the above is a standout Telemarketer job description sample, you may encounter situations when you are unable to find an example to use. Following are a few practical do’s and don’ts and best practices to ensure that you create an accurate posting for those circumstances and save yourself the trouble later of weeding through piles of less experienced applicants.
• Do state experience, requirements, and and qualifications accurately.
• Do write the job description using a friendly, informal style so your content is more attractive and engaging to potential candidates.
• Don’t imply favoritism for a particular race, gender, or age.
• Do list the major and detailed tasks of the position.
• Don’t overstate the skills essential to success in the role.
• Don’t include anything in the description subject to interpretation of a promise to employment or an offer or promise.
• Do include language indicating your business is compliant with the Employment Equal Opportunity laws.
• Do include compensation and benefits information unless it against company policy.
• Do emphasize your corporate culture and mission to encourage potential candidates to apply.
The Telemarketer job description sample above is an ideal example of a position description that can attract the top talent and convince them to submit their resume. Investing the effort upfront to create an accurate job description will save you time later when you easily locate and hire the best candidate for the position.
Want to use this job description?
Telemarketer Job Responsibilities
It’s a long process from initial job posting to making that final offer call to your newest round of hires. That process grows longer still when the majority of your applicants do not qualify for the job, with unrelated experience and a complete lack of skills. While a few duds pop up in every group of jobseekers, you can significantly reduce the number of poor applicants and remove the complexity from your hiring process by crafting a better telemarketer job description.
What do we mean by “better?” To put it simply, you need a job description that engenders an active desire to work for your company. A dry list of duties can’t do that. Your telemarketer job description needs, instead, to energize and engage with strong action verbs, bold language and a clear voice that conveys a streamlined, summarized overview of the telemarketer’s daily contributions to your company. Confine your job description to a list of 8-10 powerful bullets, and you’re on your way to a better, more qualified talent pool.
Take a look at our example of telemarketer job responsibilities:
- Place outbound calls to targeted customers in market segment for home gym appliances
- Evangelize lifestyle and cost benefits of company-branded personal gym products to consumers
- Leverage effective techniques to build customer rapport and create a convincing dialogue
- Outperform assigned quotas for daily call volume and weekly sales
- Transmit any order issues to the service team
Telemarketer Job Specifications
Every job requires certain minimum skills to perform. A baker can’t bake without knowledge of recipes and measurements; a welder can’t weld without experience with metals and welding equipment. In that same vein, a telemarketer can’t effectively reach your customers without core skills in sales and customer engagement, supplemented by the ability to meet your requirements for scheduling, technical capacity and more. Because applicants acquired many of those capabilities in previous positions, it’s always smart to flesh out your telemarketer job description with a list of job qualifications and skills covering requirements such as years of experience, soft skills and data entry capabilities.
You don’t need to spend too much time or space on this list, as long as you make it effective. The qualifications section of your telemarketer job description is instrumental in further narrowing your applicant pool by allowing you to more efficiently weed out the unqualified. Five bullets or so should do the trick and save you a great deal of time.
Here’s a sample of our telemarketer job specifications:
- 2+ years of experience in a call center position
- Previous sales experience preferred
- Willing to work night and weekend hours on flex schedule
- A friendly, informative demeanor and style of speaking
- 65 wpm data entry typing speed required