A territory sales manager oversees the day-to-day operations of a sales team in a geographical area. Someone in this position may have to develop training programs designed to help the sales representatives improve their techniques. Managers often have to analyze the sales statistics of individual team members and the territory as a whole in order to understand where improvements can be made.
Strong communication skills are an important characteristic for your applicants to have because managers need to work with colleagues, customers and direct reports. Including the most sought-after skills in the skills section of your territory sales manager job description may help you attract high-quality candidates. Other important abilities for this role include leadership, analysis and customer service.
It is important you incorporate the right elements into your posting. Use the territory sales manager job description template below to get insight into what makes a great job description.
Territory Sales Manager Job Summary
Do you enjoy inspiring others to reach their goals through workplace incentives and guiding words? As a territory sales manager at our company, you get the opportunity to oversee the sales representatives in the northeast region. You can develop training programs to encourage the sales associates to incorporate new techniques into their communications with customers. Not only do you help the company increase its sales through your leadership, but there is also the opportunity for you to take on more responsibilities through the corporate leadership track, which can lead to opportunities for you to be involved in unique and exciting projects. If you want to work in a fast-paced, diverse environment, taking on the role as territory sales manager may be the perfect fit for you.
- Direct the territory sales team, teaching them important elements of the company products and services in order to give them the tools needed to be successful team members
- Project potential sales for future quarters and years by reviewing operational reports and records
- Prepare budgets at the beginning of each fiscal year to ensure the corporate money is spent in the best ways possible
- Set promotional discount rates for special seasonal sales or new customers in order to entice both new and repeat customers
- Analyze the sales records of individual team members and the entire staff in order to understand what areas the associates need more guidance in
- Plan advertising services for the territory that is in keeping with the brand of the company and can increase name recognition
- Monitor customer preferences to better understand what type of sales efforts would be most effective for particular clients
- Attend trade associate meetings as a representative of the company in order to promote products and increase sales numbers for the territory
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field
- Five years of experience as a manager
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to diffuse workplace conflicts
- Quick decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Master’s degree in business or related field
- Familiar with computer programs, such as IBM Cognos Impromptu, FileMaker Pro and Microsoft Project
As you gear up to make a new hire for your company, writing an engaging and informative territory sales manager job description is likely going to be your first step. However, it should not be where you end your efforts. The next step, which is almost as important as writing a posting, is making sure that a large audience sees your want-ad. You can do this by putting your description up on the company website, talking about your search for a manager on social media and using various online job boards.
You may be nervous about using multiple online job boards because it could translate to the need for more work and monitoring. However, the search for a top-of-the-line employee does not have to be time consuming. MightyRecruiter allows you to put up free job postings on hundreds of online boards simultaneously.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter