Tractor-trailer truck drivers are often expected to operate heavy vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of more than 26,000 pounds. Drivers can either work alone or in pairs as they take cross-country routes. A tractor-trailer truck driver may also be expected to record his or her hours, clean the truck, report mechanical errors and follow safety guidelines.
It is important your tractor-trailer truck driver job description explains the skills you expect candidates to have. Good hand-eye coordination, for example, allows drivers to react quickly to the actions of others on the road.
Even a truck driver’s health is important. Federal regulations dictate someone operating a tractor-trailer truck not have a medical condition that could affect his or her ability to drive. The eye sight and hearing of a truck driver is also important. Review the tractor-trailer truck driver job description template below to better understand what your own write-up should include.
Tractor-Trailer Truck Driver Job Summary
Do you love hitting the road as much as you love helping customers? As a tractor-trailer truck driver at our national logistics company, you will be a vital part of our team dedicated to ensuring reliable delivery of our customer’s goods. You will have the opportunity to do more than simply drive your truck from point A to point B. Practice your heightened attention to detail to ensure your cargo and truck are in tip-top shape, keep logs of your experiences on the road and get to know customers when acting as our representative at drop-off points. This position is perfect for you if you can work on schedule on your own as you travel across the country.
- Inspect truck regularly to make sure everything, including emergency, mechanical and safety gear, is in working order before you go out on the road
- Perform regular maintenance tasks on the truck, such as adding fuel, changing oil or checking radiator fluid, while you are on the road to lengthen the vehicle’s service life
- Comply with state regulations by stopping at weigh stations, taking necessary breaks, getting regular health checkups and following rules of the road
- Keep detailed records about vehicle maintenance and driving times to make it easy for supervisors to understand the work you have done
- Determine your assignment details by reading bills of lading and talking with supervisors when needed
- Use binders, covers, ropes and blocks to secure cargo before transport begins so you can keep the goods in top-quality condition
- Consider road and weather conditions in order to plan the most efficient driving route to better meet deadlines
- Exchange information with supervisors and other drivers while on the road by using CB radios and GPS equipment to keep everyone apprised of your status
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Must have an up-to-date commercial driver’s license
- Certificate of completion of a truck driving course
- Strong communication skills
- Comfortable sitting for long periods of time
- Familiarity with spreadsheets, easy trucking software and Microsoft Word
- Quick decision making abilities
- Previous experience as a tractor-trailer truck driver
Creating an engaging tractor-trailer truck driver job description is an important part of finding the right candidates for your job opening, but it’s only half of the battle. The other factor you need to focus on is posting the description in the right places in order to attract applicants. Job seekers often visit company websites, job boards and social media sites during their search for employment. Putting your description in multiple locations makes you more accessible to potential employees, which may translate to getting a better selection of applicants.
While online job boards often reach the biggest crowds, it can be challenging to put your description up on multiple boards. To make your job easier, MightyRecruiter offers free job postings to hundreds of job boards at the same time.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter