Workers in training and development ensure that new and current employees have the tools and knowledge necessary to perform their jobs. Some of the tasks included in this endeavor are creating training manuals, mentoring employees and researching outside training entities.
Because a training and development specialist works directly with other employees, it is important to have good communication and interpersonal skills. The ability to explain ideas in different ways so the concept is understood by anyone is also important. A good training and development specialist job description highlights the need for these skills.
This position also requires a mix of analytics and creativity. A specialist needs to be able to create organized schedules and reports, but also come up with interesting ways to present this information so it is retained and used. Consult the training and development specialist job description below to see what you should be posting for your opening.
Training and Development Specialist Job Summary
New and current employees need a dedicated training and development specialist who is willing to serve as a resource for information about company practices. In this position, you will be in charge of crafting training programs and training audits to determine who needs what training when. With your skills and experience, you will oversee in-house and contracted training materials to make sure these tools are kept up to date. Our available resources will be available to you to create, maintain and modify training materials both physical and digital. This position has competitive pay rates and comes with advancement opportunities for dedicated professionals.
- Serve as the company’s subject matter expert within the organization on many different topics, and be a resource to employees as needed
- Manage internal company website and databases containing vital training videos, documents and employee metrics pertaining to performance
- Ensure all personal employee records are kept within legal standards for privacy and that employees have access to only their information within company databases
- Plan, organize and develop new training routines for growing and changing departments while these entities adjust to advanced technology and the digital age
- Adjust training programs meant for a classroom environment to be used online with new technology and multimedia aspects
- Maintain and organize training schedules for multiple employees in all departments and ensure that each part of a training program is linked to the correct prerequisites
- Assist management with performing audits of training projects and employees, and updating existing management systems to comply with local regulations
Job Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, instructional or similar fields
- Knowledge of a variety of training tools and multimedia techniques
- Four or more years of experience in a human resources or instructional position
- Interpersonal and communication skills
Want to use this job description?
Training and Development Specialist Job Responsibilities
When writing the job responsibilities section of your training and development specialist job description, organize your information using bullet points so your reader can easily differentiate between each task. By listing 6-8 bullets, you can give applicants enough information to decide if they would be able to perform the necessary job functions without intimidating them by going into too much detail. Make your job description stronger by starting each bullet point with an action verb to get your readers engaged and encourage them to imagine themselves completing each responsibility.
Tailor your training and development specialist job description towards applicants that enjoy helping others learn. You can attract the type of candidate you are looking for by writing a job responsibilities section that aids the reader in easily deciding whether or not he or she would be a good fit for the position. Making this section clear and concise can make it more impactful.
Here are some examples of potential training and development specialist job responsibilities:
- Conduct interviews and survey employees, in conjunction with consulting management staff, to assess training needs
- Design training curricula and create teaching manuals, including online modules
- Utilize different techniques to ensure all employees are properly trained
- Evaluate the results of each training program to guarantee its effectiveness
Training and Development Specialist Job Specifications
While the job qualifications and skills section of your training and development specialist job description may be short, it can have a big impact on the types of candidates who respond. Choosing the qualifications you list carefully can help limit applicants to those most likely to be competent and a good fit for your company.
In this section, you can list the minimum abilities necessary to perform the job. Remember to include specifics when necessary about the types of skills required, especially in the case of foreign language or technical skills. A list that is too general or broad can result in a large number of unqualified applicants.
You can also eliminate poorly suited candidates by figuring out which training and development specialist job specifications are absolutely necessary and which ones are just preferences. By creating a separate list for each of these categories, readers can more easily figure out for themselves if they possess any of the preferred qualities in addition to the necessary ones, thus determining how well they fit the mold of your ideal candidate.
Here are some skills to consider including in your training and development specialist job description:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as training and development, human resources, education or business administration
- 3 years of experience in training and development, instructional design or teaching
- Professionally certified by either the Association for Talent Development or the International Society for Performance Improvement
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills
- Knowledge of computer software training programs