Transportation security workers help ensure the safety and security of airline passengers by monitoring, inspecting and sometimes searching passengers and their bags. They check boarding passes and identification. They also identify and screen suspicious bags and confiscate prohibited items.
When writing your transportation security screener job description, be sure to emphasize skills and character traits that are essential for this role. Some of these qualities are an awareness of public safety issues, excellent personal and customer service, social perceptiveness and critical thinking skills.
Your ideal candidate will be comfortable interacting with the public and standing all day, so be sure to include those details. To learn more about what goes into a successful transportation security screener job description, see the example posting below.
Transportation Security Screener Job Summary
Are you looking for a job where you can put your people skills to work and support public safety at the same time? If so, we’d like to speak with you. Our agency is seeking an entry-level transportation security screener for our busy regional airport. In this role, you would mostly be interacting with passengers as they get ready to travel, making sure they have their documents in order and are prepared for security screening. You would also operate screening equipment and keep an eye out for suspicious packages or people. This is a fast-paced, public-facing job with very little downtime, where you get to meet all kinds of people every day.
- Screen passengers, personal items and bags at airport security checkpoints, using x-ray machines, wands and gloved pat-downs
- Verify validity of passengers’ boarding documents and personal identification
- Instruct passengers on how to prepare for screening (for example, by removing shoes, emptying pockets and removing certain items from bags to meet TSA requirements)
- Practice situational awareness, strong communication skills and good judgment as you and other agents decide who or what may need additional screening, based on established industry, agency and facility procedures
- Inform passengers about how to mail prohibited items to themselves, or confiscate prohibited items
- Act with courtesy and respect, even when dealing with irate passengers and other stressful situations
- Verify credentials of individuals in restricted spaces, and work closely with security personnel to ensure that suspicious or potentially dangerous persons are never out of sight
- Exercise caution when handling suspicious bags and packages, calling for backup and following directions of security team and law enforcement agents
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma (or equivalent)
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to stand for entire shift and to operate wand in a full range of motion, including over head
- Excellent customer service skills and friendly demeanor
- Background in public safety
- Experience supervising others
Writing a compelling job description is a great foundation for your talent search. Once that part is done, move on to sharing the opportunity with as many people as you can. When planning your posting strategy, don’t overlook traditional methods like asking your current employees to spread the word and putting an ad in your local newspaper.
Once you have covered your local area, it’s time to get your transportation security screener job description out into the wider world by publishing it on the internet. Because you never know where your next all-star employee will be searching for employment, it’s good to get as much coverage as you can instead of sticking to just one or two employment-related websites. To streamline the process, use MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free to hundreds of web-based job boards at once.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter