Transportation workers have varied duties, from operating buses, car, trucks, trains, planes and boats to coordinating traffic and providing customer service. They may also transport material and products on roads, rails and waterways.
When writing the skills section of the transportation worker job description, state that the most qualified candidates should have a high school diploma. More technical roles require an associate degree or higher, depending on the responsibilities of the role. Transportation workers should be active learners with good critical thinking and communications skills. Math and science abilities are needed for solving problems.
Transportation workers should also have technical skills, such as handling equipment, installations and repairs. Review the transportation worker job description below for more information on what should be included in your job listing.
Transportation Worker Job Summary
Looking for a career in transportation? Do you enjoy being on the move? We have an opening for a transportation worker where you can have a role in making sure the people and the things we transport arrive at their destinations safely and on time. If you have excellent social and communication skills and can learn the technical skills required for the position, we have a place for you. We offer many opportunities in our constantly-growing industry for progress and advancement. Depending on your role, you may be involved in providing services, driving, flying, navigating or even controlling air traffic. Become a valued member of our team and get incomparable on-the-job training, competitive pay and benefits.
- For air traffic controllers: coordinate air traffic movement and ensure safe distances between aircraft
- For airline and commercial pilots: Safely fly and navigate airplanes, helicopters and other aircraft and transport people and cargo or handle other tasks, such as chartered flights, firefighting, rescue operations, aerial photography and crop dusting
- For bus drivers: Transport people between various places on regular, chartered or sightseeing trips
- For delivery truck drivers: Pick up, transport and deliver packages and shipments between businesses and households
- For flight attendants: Ensure the comfort and safety of airline passengers, providing services and responding to emergencies
- For railroad workers: Confirm that passenger and freight trains run on schedule and travel safely, drive trains, coordinate train activities and operate signals and switches in the rail yard
- For taxi drivers and chauffeurs: Drive people to and from places they request, including airports, homes, businesses and places of entertainment
- For water transportation workers: Operate and maintain vessels that transport people and cargo over water, traveling to and from domestic and international ports
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Strong reading comprehension and written communication skills
- Able to learn new information quickly and apply information towards future decision making and problem solving
- Associate degree or higher
- For positions with greater responsibilities, bachelor’s degrees are usually required
Writing a great transportation worker job description is just the start of the process. Make sure your convincing job posting is easy to find through a variety of communications platforms, including websites and social media. It’s key to have your posting in the right places to find the best people.
Post your job description externally on the many available online job boards and through internal channels such as your organization’s website, intranet, social networks or employee referral programs. There is not enough time in the day to post on individual job sites, so use MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free on hundreds of job boards simultaneously.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter