Truck mechanics inspect and repair various types of trucks and diagnose issues in order to implement the proper solutions. They have a variety of duties, including consulting with customers to determine required work, identifying mechanical problems through testing and interpreting the results, and repairing and replacing mechanical and electrical parts and components.
In your truck mechanic job description, you will want to place emphasis on the need for an individual who is detail oriented, mechanically inclined and able to serve and communicate with customers effectively.
Truck mechanics should have the necessary physical strength to perform daily job duties, such as lifting and using heavy tools and equipment. They should also have exceptional hand-eye coordination. Use the example found below to get a good idea of what you should incorporate into your truck mechanic job description.
Truck Mechanic Job Summary
If you are skilled with your hands and passionate about serving customers right, you will be an excellent fit as a truck mechanic at our local shop that prides itself on outstanding customer service and accurate, hard work. We are looking for the right candidate who will help us achieve our goal of company growth. As a member of our team, you will get to interact with customers to figure out what they need, put your mechanical skills to use and repair many different types of trucks. This is an exceptional position for someone with a positive attitude, excellent technical skills and the desire to succeed.
- Perform routine maintenance on trucks, such as checking batteries and changing oil to ensure proper vehicle running
- Inspect various parts of trucks, including brake systems, wheel bearings and steering mechanisms to ensure they are in the proper condition to operate effectively
- Use different tools and equipment, such as pressure gauges, pneumatic wrenches, welding equipment, screwdrivers, hoists and jacks, to repair trucks while constantly utilizing safety precautions
- Diagnose malfunctions in defective equipment by inspecting and testing using devises such as motor analyzers, handheld computers and chassis charts to determine how to address problems
- Test drive vehicles to ensure they are running properly and to find issues to determine what the solution will be
- Replace parts, valves, bearings and gears as needed and repair vehicle cooling and heating systems
- Measure vehicle emissions to ensure they are in the proper limits
- Ensure parts conform to factory specifications by inspecting and verifying clearances and dimensions
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Must be able to lift heavy equipment and parts regularly
- Excellent customer service skills
- Must be comfortable with working in awkward positions or cramped spaces
- Technical certification or degree
- Experience working with diagnostic computers
- Previous experience as a diesel mechanic
Creating the best job description is an excellent goal to achieve, but your efforts will not be effective if you don’t post the description in the right places. Writing the job description is only step one if you are looking for winning candidates. Job seekers will look in a variety of places during their searches, including company websites, job sites and social networks. Finding the right candidate means strategically placing your truck mechanic job description in a place that is easy to locate.
When it comes to finding and hiring talented employees, online job boards are one of the best resources to use. MightyRecruiter can help you on your journey to attracting exceptional candidates by allowing you to post jobs for free to hundreds of job boards online at once.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter