Typists document, record and organize information that can be confidential at times. Referencing dictation devices, recordings and drafted documents, a typist must accurately dictate, write and record the information required. Once compiled, they must carefully go through the material to ensure it is all grammatically correct with no spelling or punctuation errors. Other tasks may include general office responsibilities, such as answering phones, filing, running errands and sorting mail.
In the Skills section of your typist job description, highlight critical competencies such as listening and comprehension. Effective typists utilize these skills to accurately document information and confirm understanding of guidelines and instructions.
Time management is also an important skill for candidates to possess to ensure projects are completed on time, even under pressure. This typist job description template is an illustration of the sort of content you may include in your posting to give an accurate depiction of what the profession requires.
Typist Job Summary
Do you enjoy typing and challenging your speed and accuracy? As an office typist at our headquarters, you have the ability to develop your expertise, challenge your current skills and assist in accurately documenting important information. Whether you are sitting in on a meeting, referencing drafted documents or listening to a voice recording, you have the opportunity to utilize listening and comprehension skills to understand information and record it in a way that is organized and clear. You will also get to learn other important tasks, such as filing, information retrieval and deciphering instructions and requirements. If you can manage your time and enjoy a good challenge, this job could be the perfect fit for you.
- Analyze drafts, corrected reports, voice recordings and dictation devices to type information in a way that is usable and organized
- Edit completed material to eliminate unnecessary wording and ensure compliance with grammar, spelling and formatting rules
- Participate in meetings to record minutes and effectively filter content to include only information that is applicable, important and necessary for reference later on
- Register data that needs to be typed, and guarantee that all instructions are clearly understood and followed for optimal readability
- File completed documents in a computer filing system with vigilant attention paid to topics, content and required end-users to make sure everything is saved in the correct place
- Answer phone calls, and direct callers to desired recipients or take a message in situations where the person requested is unavailable
- Manage simple clerical duties, such as running errands, sending faxes and receiving and sending mail
- Maintain a workspace that is organized, and manage time effectively to complete work within designated due dates
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent degree
- Excellent oral and written comprehension skills
- Effective listening skills
- Familiarity with computer filing systems
- Strong understanding of formatting and editing
- Three or more years of experience with data entry, word processing or typing responsibilities
Writing a strong typist job description is only the start of finding qualified recruits who meet all of your requirements. Once your posting is written, it is time to advertise it on platforms that are professional and reputable. Referral sites, university job fairs, website blurbs and social media are all valuable channels to use in sharing your posting. You may choose only one possibility or combine forces by utilizing a couple different options.
Online job boards are another great resource because recruits can use filters to immediately find a desired job. This option also means instantaneous visibility to qualified candidates who are eager to work. Use MightyRecruiter to get started and post to free job boards that are trustworthy and professional.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter