UI developers design the user interfaces for software and machines, including computers, mobile devices and other electronics. The goal of a UI developer is to improve users’ experience by making interactions simple and efficient, so it’s easy for those users to accomplish their goals.
It’s important for UI developers to have a strong understanding of design principles and be able to accommodate the aesthetic ideals of the company, product or program they’re working for without compromising usability. This is an important quality to include in your UI developer job description.
The ability to produce high-quality front-end code is another important skill to seek in a UI developer, and should be mentioned in the skills section of your job posting. Review the example below for more ideas of what to include in your UI developer job description.
UI Developer Job Summary
Joining our team as a UI developer means you’ll be jumping to the forefront of the medical technology field, helping create software that will be used by medical professionals all over the country. Your primary task will be to design and implement user interfaces for maximum usability and performance in web applications. Your work will make an important contribution to medical research and technologies by helping doctors, researchers and lab technicians coordinate and share information across multiple channels. If you have a creative mind, top-notch technical skills, a strong sense of user interface design and an extreme eye for detail, this is the perfect position for you.
- Work with a small team to design and build software applications to function across multiple platforms
- Produce front-end code and visual comps to create a polished and highly functional user interface with a focus on usability and simplicity of design
- Collaborate with end users of software programs, including various medical professionals and office managers, to determine user needs and adapt programming accordingly
- Ensure software operates ideally across a range of programs and platforms, including Microsoft and Apple products and various mobile operating systems
- Use graphic design software to create branding and logos and incorporate visual elements into programming with the goal of creating a streamlined design and a pleasant but visually simple user interface
- Conduct thorough testing of user interfaces in multiple platforms to ensure all designs render correctly and systems function properly, incorporating feedback from actual potential users as well as members of the design team
- Solve any design or usability issues that arise and anticipate potential future problems so they can be resolved before they impact users
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or information technology
- Minimum of two years working as a professional UI developer
- Strong understanding of front-end coding and development technologies
- Mastery of C++, Java or other programming language
- In-depth understanding of browser rendering engines
- Basic understanding of medical terminology
Want to use this job description?
UI Developer Job Responsibilities
Attracting qualified employees to fill critical positions is often a competitive prospect. When potential applicants are searching for a job, likely the first item from your company they will come into contact with is the job description for an open position. This makes it critical that your UI developer job description is clear, easily read and contains relevant content. When your job description is well-written, you stand the chance of increasing the number of quality applicants who are a great fit for your company culture. This means it will likely take less time to fill the position.
When writing the UI developer job responsibilities section, remember it is the most comprehensive part of the job description. Keep your responsibilities from 6-8 of the most important items, and organize them into a list with bullet points. This type of organization format keeps the focus on the relevant points of your UI developer job description. Here is a sample job responsibilities section that gives you an idea of the format and content of this section:
UI Developer Job Specifications
Write UI developer job specifications in a well-organized and easily readable format. Make the job qualifications and skills section relevant to the rest of the UI developer job description by showing how the required qualifications link to the job responsibilities. Create a context for the position by drawing attention to areas of expected knowledge for prospective employees reading the job description.
Tying in how the job contributes to the company’s bottom line shows the relevancy and demand for the open position. Qualified applicants are more likely to apply to a position deemed critical to the company’s mission.
As in the rest of the UI developer job description, write this section in bulleted lists. Make sure to clearly separate the required specifications from the desired ones. Here are some specification examples to help you write a great job description:
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or a related field 3 years of experience in web architecture planning and execution Proven time-management skills serving in web design consultant, coder and support specialist in a position Excellent verbal and written communication skills to interact productively with clients and co-workers Experience in web programming in HTML5, Ajax, Angular, CSS3 and jQuery required Knowledge of UI optimization and SEO standards preferred