Upholsterers can be found in industrial settings as well as in small businesses. They typically work with the interior of automotive vehicles, airplanes and household furniture. Working with a variety of fabrics and materials, they make, assemble or repair upholstery. This position involves on-the-job training to become proficient.
When you concentrate on the skills section of your upholsterer job description, you should stress the knowledge that goes beyond the physical aspects of the work. Include specific skills, such as mathematics, reading comprehension, design and blueprint skills, problem-solving and other abilities that can be useful.
Upholsterers may work as part of a team doing piece work or manage each project independently. They should be able to communicate well with peers and supervisors to complete assignments. Take a look at the below upholsterer job description template for other ideas that can help you describe your opening.
Upholsterer Job Summary
Are you interested in learning more about the art of furniture making? Our company is a leader in furniture production, and we are hiring an experienced upholsterer for our home furnishings division. You can have the opportunity to learn more about the craft of upholstery in this full-time position. We offer a comprehensive benefits package to all full-time employees who complete our four-month apprenticeship program. You can also gain knowledge of the latest technology and software used in furniture production. If you are a hard worker who is committed to quality craftsmanship, we encourage you to apply for this exciting position for a chance to join our work family.
- Using power and hand tools, apply and install batting, foam, poly-filler and cut fabric to wooden framework in the assembly of hand-crafted furniture
- Attach finishes, including buttons, trim, tassels and other decorative accessories, to complete orders according to specifications
- Measure and cut fabric or leather pieces with the aid of patterns or stencils and industrial cutting tools to precise sizes and dimensions
- Read work orders and maintain database of production status for communication with outside clients as well as in-house sales managers
- Inspect wooden frame work for defects and make repairs as needed prior to upholstery application and other finish work
- Operate portable hand-sewing equipment, nail guns, hobnail and tack hammers, hot-knife cutters and other industrial equipment
- Determine fabric inventory and place orders with textile partner; provide status updates about fabric availability to clients and managers
- Discuss complications or assembly line slow-downs with supervisors and brainstorm solutions for increased productivity
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- The ability to stand, walk and move for up to eight hours per day
- Previous experience with upholstery or furniture manufacturing
- Must pass criminal background check and drug testing
- Attention to detail
- Must be able to rotate shifts
As you write your upholsterer job description, try to provide an accurate picture of daily job responsibilities for a clear expectation of what employees should be able to do. When you are ready to post it, you can turn to your company’s social media platforms and website to get the word out to candidates.
You should plan on going the extra mile to connect with the most qualified applicants by including your job opening on several job boards. You can make a decision that is good for your business and spend your valuable time talking to potential employees that you have reached through your job posting. You could post to individual boards on your own, or you can take advantage of the convenience MightyRecruiter offers to post jobs for free on many boards at once.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter