Urban and regional planners solve transportation, development and other infrastructure-related problems in the areas they serve. They may be involved in the planning of new schools and parks as well as improved traffic patterns and expansion of commercial centers.
Decision-making and analytical skills are the most important qualities for an individual in this position, so emphasize those traits in your urban and regional planner job description. A skilled urban and regional planner will also be an accomplished researcher who communicates well and is able to manage others.
Before you begin writing your urban and regional planner job description, think about the exact role your new employee will play in your organization. For example, if your area needs urban revitalization, state that in your ad. On the other hand, if your new staff member will be focusing mostly on transportation planning, be sure to include that information in your posting.
Urban and Regional Planner Job Summary
Are you an experienced urban and regional planner with a knack for urban revitalization? If so, our development company is searching for someone like you for our newest waterfront redevelopment project. For this exciting undertaking, you would be working on a team of world-class architects, designers, civil engineers and planners to create and implement a new vision for Big City’s Old Marina District. Our primary plan is to transform the area into a modern, mixed-use historic district, incorporating new offices and multifamily buildings with historical buildings, restaurants, shops and 150 acres of greenspace. We are looking for qualified candidates with experience in all phases of urban planning make this project a reality.
- Become an expert on local building and zoning codes, land use policies and environmental regulations through meetings with interested parties and independent research
- Conduct impact studies, surveys and other investigations before developing a plan that takes economic, environmental and social factors into account
- Analyze data to determine and recommend an appropriate course of action in each facet of development, including project scope, traffic flow and water and waste management
- Lead team in researching, applying for and obtaining approvals, permits and certifications from relevant granting authorities, presenting survey and feasibility study reports and meeting with public officials as necessary
- Represent our agency in a professional capacity as we collaborate with city, county and state representatives, attorneys, engineers, local transit and port authority personnel, as well as local businesspeople and the general public
- Supervise, direct and mentor junior team members, including entry-level planning and engineering staff
- Coordinate and oversee committees and monitor their progress
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in planning, community development, urban studies or similar field
- Five or more years of experience, at least two in a responsible (supervisory or team lead) position
- Excellent communication skills
- Master’s degree in planning, community development, urban studies or similar field
- Ten or more years of experience, at least five in a responsible position
Writing a powerful, informative job description is just the beginning of the hiring process, but it is a very important step. Take your time with the posting to make sure you include the most essential qualities and key responsibilities in a way that gives prospective candidates a solid idea of what the position entails and what sort of person would be a good fit.
Once your urban and regional planner job description is complete, publicize it by first tapping your immediate resources, like sharing it on your company’s website and social media accounts and asking your employees to spread the word. Then use MightyRecruiter to create free job postings on hundreds of internet job boards at once.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter