A well-written usher job description is essential to your hiring process. Ushers work in performance venues and assist patrons with finding their seats. They greet customers, take tickets and provide help to patrons with disabilities.
Ushers should have at least a high school diploma or an equivalency certificate. They also need to have a solid understanding of customer service skills. Most of the specifics of the job can be learned upon hiring.
You should also aim to find someone who has strong oral communication skills and listening skills. Ushers work on their feet for most of their shift, so that is a consideration as well. Learn more about what to include by looking at the usher job description template here.
Usher Job Summary
Do you have a passion for the performing arts, or are you mesmerized by the experience of seeing a live show in a theater? If so, our venue is looking for you to join our team as an usher. In this role, you will be the first line of communication between our organization and the audience members who patronize our shows. You will be responsible for ensuring each ticket holder finds the correct seat and the audience is primed to get the full benefits of live theater and dance. You’ll enjoy free front-row access to some of the hottest performances in town as one of our staff members.
- Welcome audience members to the venue upon entrance and assist them with finding the precise location of their seats according to their ticket information
- Use a scanning device or other handheld tool to ensure the ticket presented is an authentic credential for the specific performance scheduled
- Resolve any conflicts as needed when audience members are in disagreement about the location of their seats or when another patron is in the wrong ticketed section
- Aid patrons who have disabilities or other special needs in finding an appropriate seat or section for them to enjoy the show comfortably
- Answer audience member questions when asked about the content of the show or give advice about other spots nearby for food or lodging
- Enforce all venue performance rules throughout the live show, such as no flash photography, no recording, limited entry and exit and no access to restricted areas
- Follow all emergency procedures regarding venue evacuation and know the location of all exits throughout the building
- Maintain a professional appearance with a company-provided uniform to represent the venue in a positive light
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or its equivalency
- Able to stand for long periods of time
- Strong interpersonal skills and friendly demeanor
- Excellent customer service skills
- Experience working in a performance arts venue setting
- Ability to work weekends and nights
When your usher job description is finally ready, you can get started on your search for the right candidate. You’ll also need to determine how to reach as many qualified jobseekers as possible. The more people who see your job posting, the more potential applicants you could have in your candidate pool.
For most jobseekers, the internet is the tool of choice when looking for a job. The typical candidate isn’t going to take an extra step to find your job posting on your website, so you’ve got to advertise more effectively. You don’t have to spend hours navigating individual sites. You can simply get started on looking through job applications when you use MightyRecruiter to help you reach your target audience and post jobs for free on hundreds of popular job board websites.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter